Advertisements
Kieran Reynolds (photo) was a happy, healthy 14-year-old boy with a promising future until flu complications saw him fly from Bega District Hospital to Sydney Children's Hospital in 2015.

Furious parents describe how their son, 14, quadriplegically and BLIND was left after an easily avoided mistake by a doctor – and no one was punished

  • Kieran Reynolds was a high-performing 14-year-old boy until he got the flu in 2015
  • He was flown to Sydney for treatment, but due to a mistake, he no longer saw oxygen
  • Anesthesiologist failed to properly insert the tube and oxygen was fed to his stomach
  • The boy suffered a brain injury and is now quadriplegic and is being led through a snake
Advertisements

Parents with a broken heart explained in detail how their high-performing son was left fourfold because of a preventable mistake by a doctor.

Advertisements

Kieran Reynolds was a happy, healthy 14-year-old boy with a promising future until flu complications fled him in 2015 from Bega District Hospital to Sydney's Children's Hospital.

He had to be intubated before the flight, but the anaesthesiologist did not put the tube in his windpipe and the oxygen was fed to his stomach.

He was without oxygen for about 20 minutes and by the time someone realized that, he had suffered a brain injury.

Kieran Reynolds (photo) was a happy, healthy 14-year-old boy with a promising future until flu complications saw him fly from Bega District Hospital to Sydney Children's Hospital in 2015.

Kieran Reynolds (photo) was a happy, healthy 14-year-old boy with a promising future until flu complications saw him fly from Bega District Hospital to Sydney Children's Hospital in 2015.

Advertisements

Kieran, now 18, had once dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but nowadays he cannot even bathe or feed himself.

He is quadriplegic, has lost his eyesight and is fed through a tube.

His parents, Mick and Suzanne Reynolds, both nurses, have been left behind to take care of their son.

& # 39; Our lives have changed from one day to the next. And it will never return to what it was & # 39 ;, Reynolds said Four corners.

& # 39; Every day is a feeling of sadness. & # 39;

Advertisements

Reynolds had just left the room when the procedure was complete and heard when code was called blue – an alert was needed.

Mr. Reynolds saw his son's lips turn blue and then his heart stopped, but nobody knew why.

Eventually the tube was replaced and correctly placed in the Kieran windpipe.

Reynolds said the doctor's anesthetist had told him that Kieran had not been given oxygen for three to five minutes.

But an MRI scan later revealed that Kieran had sustained hypoxic brain injury worldwide – indicating that he had run out of oxygen for about 20 minutes.

Kieran, now 18, had once dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but now he cannot bathe or feed himself
Advertisements

Kieran, now 18, had once dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but now he cannot bathe or feed himself

Kieran, now 18, had once dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but now he cannot bathe or feed himself

& # 39; To this day I am still stunned why they did not know what was going on. It would have been clear to everyone in that situation, & # 39; Mr. Reynolds.

An investigation into the incident showed that the anesthesiologist had not used a capnography that controls breathing.

The hospital acknowledged liability and paid compensation to the family.

Advertisements

In a statement to Four Corners, the hospital said it felt sorry for what happened to Kieran & # 39; and that it had improved processes to improve patient safety.

Kieran's parents believe that that was not good enough.

Hoe How is it possible that a young man's life has been destroyed, his family has been destroyed and Australian taxpayers have left his foot care bills for the rest of his life and yet no one can be held liable? I don't understand that, & said Mr. Reynolds.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Bega District Hospital, now South East Regional Hospital. for comment.

Advertisements

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news