Furious couple & # 39; capture DYSENTERY & # 39; in Turkish five-star hotel on TV advertisements from TUI
A couple claim to have contracted dysentery during a vacation in Turkey, where they were staying in a five-star hotel shown on a TV ad for giant giant TUI.
Cindy Greaves and her husband Stephen, from Norwich, Norfolk, were attached to drip drops for up to twelve hours a day for three days after IV infection.
They say that despite TUI representatives sending them to a doctor and booking their taxis to the hospital, nobody visited them to check their conditions.
They are now taking legal action against the company and say that they have ignored their calls since their return to the UK and consider them a & # 39; inconvenience & # 39; have treated.
It is not clear how they got the infection during their vacation, but they claim that they did not eat anywhere else than the all-inclusive restaurants in the hotel.
Scroll down for video:
Cindy Greaves and her husband Stephen, (left, on vacation before they fell ill) from Norwich, Norfolk, were connected to IV drops for up to twelve hours a day (right, Mr. Greaves with a line in his arm)
Stephen Greaves in a hospital in Turkey with an infusion in his arm
TUI & # 39; s 5-star Sensatori Barut Fethiye, in Fethiye, Turkey, was the backdrop for a flashy TV advertising campaign in which a mother and her reluctant daughter were on holiday together.
Mrs. Greaves, retired Sainsbury & # 39; s food buyer, said: & I think the behavior towards us has been despicable.
& # 39; Every time I see their ads on TV, it makes me sick. We know the truth behind the glitter. People need to know how they really are.
& # 39; They don't have customer service or manners and it felt like they just wanted to shake you off, they advertise it as high end, but when we were sent to the hospital, there was virtually no help.
TUI & # 39; s 5-star Sensatori Barut Fethiye, in Fethiye, Turkey, was the backdrop for a flashy TV advertising campaign (photo)
Mrs. Greaves said that the first week of their summer vacation at the resort (photo) was everything she had imagined, but the second week was & # 39; hellish & # 39;
Mrs. Greaves (left, the red bruise left in her arm after the drip and right, in the hospital) says every time she sees an advertisement for TUI, & # 39; she feels sick & # 39;
& # 39; We were admitted to the hospital under their care. Now they have the cheek to suggest that we are unfair, which is outrageous.
& # 39; It felt like the salesmen at the hotel were treating our illness as a discomfort, we could have been dead to everything they cared about. & # 39;
The couple both contracted the potentially deadly amoebic dysentery. The bug can be passed on if an infected person does not wash his hands after going to the toilet and then handling food.
Mrs. Greaves said the first week of their £ 2689 summer vacation was all she had imagined.
The couple claims that during dinner at the start of their second week at the resort (photo) they suddenly fell ill and were limited to their room
She added: "It was great, we had a swimming area and the resort was about 18 months old and luxurious – the first part of the vacation was great, but the second week was hellish."
She claims that at dinner at the start of their second week, her husband suddenly fell ill with severe diarrhea and confined herself in their room.
The following night she was also affected by a serious illness. She claims that she was forced to step out of her bed to get her own food.
The 59-year-old added: & # 39; I tried to tell them that I was sick and that I shouldn't be near food, what I knew from my work in the food industry, but they didn't care so I had to go into the restaurant anyway. & # 39;
They both got sick the next day and talked to their TUI representative who sent them to the onsite doctor, who immediately referred them to the hospital.
A taxi was called and they went to the hospital where they were dropped. An hour later they were called to a room with a consultant and they got the news that they both had contracted potential deadly parasite amoebic dysentery.
Mrs. Greaves added: & # 39; the contact person who spoke English told us to stay in the hospital for three to seven days because there is an amoeba bug in our systems that is contagious, I have stopped crying. & # 39;
The couple (photo) both contracted the potentially deadly amoebic dysentery. The bug can be passed on if an infected person does not wash his hands after going to the toilet and then handling food
Medications given to them by doctors in Turkey after being diagnosed with dysentery
They returned to the hotel to collect their belongings and update the TUI representatives on their situation.
After returning to the hospital, they were then addicted to drops for three days to 12 hours a day, saying that no one from TUI came to the hospital to see if they were okay.
WHAT IS DYSENTRY?
Dysentery is an intestinal infection.
It causes diarrhea that contains blood or mucus
Other symptoms of dysentery can include painful stomach cramps and nausea or vomiting
The condition can also cause a high temperature of 38 ° C or higher or 37.5 ° C or higher in children under the age of five.
There are two main types of dysentery: bacillary dysentery or shigellosis and amoebic dysentery or amoebiasis.
Bacillary dysentry is the most common form in the UK, while amoebic dystentry is primarily found in tropical countries.
Dysentery is highly contagious and can be passed on by taking the feces of an infected person.
The infection normally resolves itself within a week and can be treated at home with plenty of fluid and oral rehydration solutions.
Mr. Greaves, 65, said: & No one from TUI came to visit us, it was terrible.
& # 39; We were constantly hurting the drops and the nurses were pretty rough and had trouble getting the needles in, so our arms were black and blue. & # 39;
After receiving the release, they spent the rest of their vacation waiting for them to go home after prescribing six strong antibiotic pills every day.
When Stephen tried to report his illness to TUI, he said they were not worried about their illness at all.
He added: & # 39; It was as if they couldn't be bothered. It was almost as if they wanted to reject what had happened to us and pretended to be an inconvenience – while we were in Turkey, they refused to hand over our sickness report.
He said: & # 39; We asked them the night before we left and then I had to keep asking them. I finally had to sit in front of them until they handed it over.
After coming home to Norwich in September 2016, they had almost a year-long series of repeated correspondence and phone calls between Stephen and TUI, which he said ended up in the company that ignored his calls.
Mrs. Greaves added: & # 39; It felt like they were just trying to wear us down, hoping we'd forget. & # 39;
She and her husband are now taking legal action against TUI during their ruined vacation.
Travel attorney Andrew Tarling, of Simpson Millar Solicitors, who is handling their case, said: & # 39; This is a very nasty bug, and they have experienced a terrible ordeal abroad and are lucky that their health is not seriously compromised for it life.
& # 39; This was made worse by their treatment by TUI. Tour operators have to do much more to ensure the safety of their guests abroad. & # 39;
A TUI UK spokesperson said: & We are sorry to hear that Mr. and Mrs. Greaves became unwell during their vacation. Since this is now a legal issue, it would be inappropriate to comment further.
& # 39; We want to assure customers that we regularly check all the hotels we offer in terms of health and safety, including hygiene. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news