The French Open is in danger of being CANCELED after the country plunges into a third lockdown, with the Grand Slam kicking off on May 24.
- The French Open is in danger of being dropped with France in its third lockdown
- The Grand Slam starts on May 24, but may be affected by Covid-19
- French tennis chef Gilles Moretton says he “doesn’t dare to think about the cancellation.”
- He insists it’s on schedule, but depends on how long the lockdown lasts
The French Open could be scrapped if France’s lockdown lasts longer than two months, the country’s tennis chief has warned.
Increasing cases in France forced President Emmanuel Macron to enforce tougher restrictions to curb the threat of a new wave of infections – which put a big question mark at Roland Garros.
The Grand Slam kicks off on May 24 and runs through June 7, but the tournament could be seriously affected if French Covid rates continue to rise and lockdown measures remain in place for too long.
The French Open is in danger of being canceled this summer after France plunged into lockdown
Gilles Moretton, president of the French tennis federation, believes that it is still ‘on track’ to proceed as planned, but the country is gripped by a virus crisis, he says organizers should take ‘the necessary measures’ and the cancel match.
“Right now we are on schedule, the tournament is on scheduled dates,” said Moretton, as reported by the independent
“But if we are told that we have to close for two months, we will have to take the necessary measures, the worst of which is the outright cancellation, but I dare not imagine that.”
French tennis chief Gilles Moretton said organizers could make the decision if Covid measures are in place for too long
He said the organizers were constantly talking to players and keeping an eye on developments
Moretton insists the officials set ‘many options’ for setting up the tournament, adding that it is highly likely that there will be a declining spectator attendance, and expects it to start behind closed doors if it gets the thumbs up .
He said the organizers were in constant contact with players and that they were keeping a close eye on developments before taking any further steps.
“We are studying a lot of options for Roland Garros 2021,” added Moretton.
Last year, Roland Garros was moved to September and he only played in front of 1000 fans a day
‘There is a total reach, or almost total, because I don’t dare to imagine a 100 percent audience level.
‘But that can start from behind closed doors to a level that will not be 100 percent. All options are ready with us.
“We meet all players regularly and we will have to wait and see how it ends.”
Last year’s French Open was impacted by Covid – forced to move to September, with a maximum of 1,000 fans per day.