Fox News host Dan Bongino banned from YouTube for spreading misinformation about COVID-19
Dan Bongino has been temporarily suspended from his YouTube channel for claiming masks haven’t helped stop the spread of COVID
- Fox News host Dan Bongino had his YouTube account temporarily suspended and demonetized for spreading misinformation about COVID-19
- Bongino is not allowed to upload anything to his channel for a week; he has about 871,000 subscribers
- YouTube also removed Bongino’s channel from its affiliate program on Friday, which allows users to monetize their content through advertising.
- YouTube implemented the rule in 2020 to ban ‘content about COVID-19 that poses a serious risk of serious harm’
- The former Secret Service agent can reapply to the program within 30 days if the issues leading to the initial removal are resolved
Fox News host Dan Bongino has temporarily suspended and demonetized his YouTube account for claiming masks are useless in preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
On Friday, according to reports, the right-wing commentator was not allowed to upload anything to his channel for a week. He has about 871,000 subscribers.
The 47-year-old’s suspension reportedly stems from a video he recently posted in which he argues masks are “useless” in stopping the spread of the coronavirus.
A YouTube spokesperson declined to reveal the specific comment that prompted Bongino’s removal from the company’s revenue program.
Bongino, who received his first of a possible three strikes before being banned from the platform completely, is also being demonetized for at least 30 days, according to YouTube’s rules and regulations. guidelines.
Bongino, who currently hosts shows on Fox News and Fox Nation, can reapply to the program within 30 days if the issues that led to the initial takedown are resolved.
Fox News host Dan Bongino, pictured, had his YouTube account temporarily suspended and demonetized after spreading misinformation about COVID-19
Bongino shared a photo of an email, pictured, between himself and a YouTube representative named ‘Coco’ that was posted to Twitter after his offense
YouTube has also removed Bongino’s channel from its affiliate program, which allows users to monetize their content by advertising for “repeated violations” of guidelines about harmful and dangerous acts as a result of his spreading misinformation about the coronavirus.
YouTube implemented the rule in 2020 to ban “content about COVID-19 that poses a serious risk of serious harm.”
The video sharing social media network does not allow videos containing medical misinformation that contradicts local health authorities, such as the World Health Organization.
If Bongino’s channel violates the policy for the second time within 90 days, a two-week suspension will be applied.
If a third violation were to occur in the same time frame, the channel would be permanently banned and removed.
Showing no sign of bowing, the Fox News host shared a screenshot of an email between himself and a YouTube representative named “Coco,” where he called the Google-owned website a “tyrannical, free speech hating , bullshit , big tech bastard.’
‘[I will] immediately post content on why masks have been totally ineffective in stopping this pandemic” after his suspension is over, he told the rep, challenging YouTube to do something about it.
Bongino, a former 12-year Secret Service veteran who once defended former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush, ran for Congress in 2013
Bongino, a former 12-year Secret Service veteran who once defended former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush, ran for Congress in 2013.
“I was behind the scenes for 12 years…I’ve been in the room during some of the most important conversations,” Bongino told ABC News about his access to high-level discussions in the White House at the time.
Last year, the Washington Post profiled Bongino and his wildly successful podcast and YouTube channel, comparing his anger from the conservative base to former right-wing pundit Rush Limbaugh.