Shocking moment four quail eggs OUT on supermarket shelf in Brazil – ‘We were very surprised when we saw the chicks being born’
- Four quails hatched in a plastic box in a supermarket in Piauí, Brazil, on September 21
- Footage of the incident was recorded by the supermarket manager, Fábio Gomes, who uploaded the video on social media last Thursday
- The video shows one of the chicks jumping out of the box and nearly falling to the ground before the manager catches it
- Two of the chicks died two minutes after hatching, while the other two died the next day after being handed over to the egg supplier
This was certainly a sale shoppers weren’t expecting to catch at a supermarket in the northeastern Brazilian state of Piauí.
A manager and one of his employees were shocked to see a flock of quail hatching from a carton of eggs last month, according to viral video footage.
Supermarket manager Fábio Gomes told news portal G1 that Manoel Pereira warned him about a strange noise coming from the shelf and seeing something move in the plastic box that was packed with 30 eggs on September 21.
A cell phone video recorded by a startled Gomes showed him opening the box just before one of the four quail jumped onto the shelf.
The chick then tripped and slid off the ledge, but Gomes caught it to keep it from falling to the ground.
Fábio Gomes discovered four quail hatching in a box of 30 eggs in his supermarket in Piauí, Brazil, on September 21.
Two of the four chicks died two minutes after they hatched, while two others died the next day after the supermarket owner turned them over to the egg supplier
The other three quails hatched from the eggshells before he put the first chick back in the box.
“We were very surprised to see the chicks being born,” Gomes said. “I had already moved the boxes because of the heat because they are plastic.”
Two of the quails died two minutes after they hatched. The other two were turned over to an egg supplier and died the next day.
“The supplier was also amazed, he only believed it because I told him,” Gomes said.
One of the quail stumbled out of the egg carton and slipped off the shelf, but the supermarket manager made sure it didn’t fall to the floor
Four quail hatched in an egg carton in a Brazilian supermarket last month. A video of the incident quickly went viral after it was uploaded to social media last Thursday
Local zootechnical Bruno Costa told G1 supermarkets are required by law to sell eggs from authorized farms that only have females.
“There were males and females where did these eggs come from,” said Bruno.
‘Eggs for consumption should not be hatched’ [fertilized] because of the shelf life. The responsible farms acquire only a lot of women. Sometimes control is not effective and they send fertilized eggs to the market.’
Mateus Vieria, a biologist, explained that heat and humidity in the supermarket played a role in the hatching of the four quails.
“Fertile eggs, a temperature of almost 98.6 degrees and a humidity of more than 60 percent, provided the conditions for hatching,” said Vieria.
‘The temperature above the ideal, 98.96 degrees, can anticipate the hatch. It may be delayed below. Both cases cause developmental damage in the birds.’