Formula E race comes to a halt after a HORROR six-car crash at 150mph as the lead car loses control causing carnage for those behind…but the drivers escape the dramatic incident unscathed
- The Formula E Grand Prix of Rome was halted on Saturday after a horror accident
- Sam Bird lost control and stopped at the end of a blind corner
- The crash involved six cars, but luckily no one was seriously injured.
A Formula E Grand Prix was brought to a halt on Saturday after an alarming six-car crash in Rome.
In an incident that has already been described as one of the worst in series history, lead driver Sam Bird lost control of his Jaguar at 150mph and went off on a congested straightaway.
He ended up standing still and facing the cars behind him, causing carnage as they tried to avoid a serious collision.
They came out of a blind corner to find Bird’s car lying in the center of the track.
The first car hit the Jaguar as it tried to dodge and ended up crashing into the barrier, while the next three managed to avoid the stationary car but hit the wall hard.
The Formula E Grand Prix of Rome was halted on Saturday after a terrible six-car crash
Sam Bird’s car came to a standstill in the middle of a track after a blind corner, making it difficult for other drivers to move out of the way.
Six cars were involved in the 150mph incident, but luckily no one was hurt.
The scariest moment came when the fifth car tried to pass. It is not clear if the driver saw the parked vehicle late or simply did not have time to change direction, but it collided directly into Bird’s Jaguar.
He left the track littered with debris and the stewards made the obvious decision to stop the race.
Somewhat miraculously, no drivers were injured during the incident, though Bird has been taken for further medical checkups.
Following the red flag, seven of the 21 cars that had started the race were unable to continue, while 22 had already been knocked out after crashing during qualifying.
One fan called the incident “the worst Formula E accident of all time”, while another said it was “absolutely terrifying”.
Racing resumed after a 45-minute delay when the track was cleared of debris.
The track was littered with debris after the accident and the race could not be resumed for 45 minutes.
Bird (pictured) has been sent for further medical checks after what Jaguar team principal James Barclay called a “nightmare scenario”.
Jaguar team principal James Barclay said of Bird: “It’s standard procedure to get his medical checks. Fortunately, he appears to be fine and the other drivers seem to be fine, but it was a very serious accident.
“It really was a nightmare scenario, the fastest part of the circuit, a blind corner, but most importantly the car has stayed strong and done its job.”
A Jaguar statement added: “Following a multi-car collision midway through round 13, Sam was assessed and checked by the medical team and thankfully he is doing well.
“The team will now focus on repairing their Jaguar I-Type 6 before tomorrow’s race.”