A former Catholic priest and Labor official who traveled to poor Asian countries to film himself sexually exploiting vulnerable boys has been sentenced to at least 14 years in prison.
Peter Andrew Hansen, 63, pleaded guilty in the NSW District Court in Sydney on 31 charges.
These include producing child pornography in Vietnam and the Philippines, distributing child exploitation material and engaging in sexual activities with nine boys.
The former Melbourne priest, Labor Party official and lawyer was arrested at Sydney airport in October 2018 on his way back from Vietnam.
After a day and a half reading his sentencing comments, Judge Bennett sentenced the fluent Vietnamese speaker to 19 years in prison on Friday with a 14-year unconditional period.
Former Catholic priest and Labor official Peter Andrew Hansen (pictured), 63, traveled to poor Asian countries to sexually exploit vulnerable boys
The former Melbourne priest, Labor Party official and lawyer was arrested at Sydney airport in October 2018 on his way back from Vietnam
“He is one of the base individuals who has created abhorrent products for his own sexual pleasure, using children who had been made vulnerable by the conditions in their homeland,” Bennett said.
Hansen’s offense included paying sums – sometimes the equivalent of $7.50 – to boys to pose for pornographic photos in his hotel rooms, and to engage in sexual activity with other boys or with him.
His planning and organization included acquiring a space for his “sexual adventures,” which had a limited risk of exposure, the judge said.
He rejected Hansen’s evidence that he was using the material for “sexual comfort” rather than sexual arousal.
Hansen, who was a Catholic priest in the Archdiocese of Melbourne until he resigned in 2011, claimed watching the images was “almost soothing, it eased my anxiety.”
But the judge found that he was motivated by his sexual interest in boys and willing to exploit their limited resources in their home country.
Hansen had admitted to using child porn when he was a priest.
“I am not convinced that he is sincerely repentant,” the judge said.
He discovered that Hanson had the ability to manipulate and mislead those with whom he spoke about his transgression, including a psychiatrist.
Hansen’s proof that he didn’t appreciate the damage he was doing to the boys until he read their “beggars believe” victim statements.
The judge referred to online encrypted exchanges between Hansen, under the name Baga Tay, and another person named “Maliboy Hornbag.”
Hansen sent photos of boys and said he “hoped to keep the camera going” in the Philippines.
“I’m still figuring out how to get the most out of my pool weekend.”
He referred to news about the health of the king of Thailand.
Hansen’s offense included paying sums – sometimes the equivalent of $7.50 – to boys to pose for pornographic photos in his hotel rooms and engage in sexual activities with other boys or with him.
Peter Andrew Hansen, 63, pleaded guilty in the NSW District Court in Sydney on 31 charges. He has been sentenced to 14 years in prison without parole
“By my damn luck, he dies before I get there and everything is closed,” and he hoped he’ll “last long enough to move me.”
Maliboy Hornbag warned him not to spend too much money, saying ‘they are getting greedy, that’s how Manila is now’.
Hansen didn’t just answer that he wouldn’t spend too much, “I can’t.”
Hansen told Maliboy Hornbag that the highest amount he would pay the boys was 250 to 300 pesos plus a gift, outing and food.
But for “excellent performance” and “for the ones I really like, maybe I pump to 500 the most.”
The judge said the “appalling nature of the comments” in the messages alleviated Hansen’s attitude toward his “extreme misconduct.”
More than 100,000 pornographic files were found on his devices, dating back to 2008 and as recently as 2018.
A local agent had sent him pictures of guys on Facebook, under the guise of modeling shoots, and Hansen would tell him which guys he wanted to meet.
Hansen had looked after the boys and paid others to access them as well.
The judge found that he had no more than modest prospects for rehabilitation.
He gave him a 25 percent discount on his IOUs, noting that this meant that witnesses did not have to be called from abroad, but he thought the crown case was “extremely strong.”
The earliest date he will be eligible for parole is October 2032, after his sentence was retroactive to the time he was taken into custody.