Ex-Mets star Octavio Dotel was released from a jail in the Dominican Republic after being accused of working in the cocaine and opioid empire of drug kingpin
- Former New York Mets all-star Octavio Dotel, 45, was released Thursday from a prison in the Dominican Republic
- He and his former former Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, were accused of laundering assets for the Dominican drug lord Cesar Emilio Peralta last week.
- A judge ruled that there was & # 39; insufficient evidence & # 39; was that Dotel connected to Peralta
- The retired pitcher was allowed to leave the prison after paying a $ 1 million bond in weapon-related charges after the police found firearms during earlier raids
- Both Dotel and Castillio, who remain in the US, have denied the charges
A retired New York Mets all-star last week accused of working for a notorious Dominican drug kingpin was released Thursday from prison on his homeland in the Caribbean island.
Former Mets pitcher Octavio Dotel, 45, was flooded by reporters after paying a $ 1 million bail and being released from prison.
On August 21, the Dominican authorities linked Dotel and fellow retired Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, to a money laundering plan executed on behalf of the infamous Dominican drug lord Cesar Emilio Peralta, also known as & # 39; Cesar the abuser & # 39; by locals, according to Diario Libre.
Dotel was arrested on the island last week. Castillo has remained in the US.
Scroll down for video
Former Major League Baseball player Octavio Dotel (center), 45, arrested on suspicion of a connection with a powerful drug trafficking network, talking to the press while being transferred to a courthouse in the Palace of Justice of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, in August 22
Dotel and fellow former MLB pitcher Luis Castillo (photo) were accused last week of laundering assets for Dominican drug lord Cesar Emilio Peralta
On August 21, the Dominican authorities linked Dotel and fellow retired Mets pitcher Luis Castillo, 43, to a money laundering program conducted on behalf of the infamous Dominican drug driver Cesar Emilio Peralta (photo), also known as & # 39; Cesar the abuser & # 39 ; by the locals
Permanent Court of Justice of the National District Judge Jose Alejandro Vargas ruled Thursday that there was insufficient evidence to bind Dotel to the opioid and cocaine empire of Peralta.
But the judge imposed a $ 1 million deposit on Dotel to ensure that he returns to incur additional firearm-related costs.
Local law enforcement officers previously carried out raids, saying they had found weapons that Dotel had owned and transported illegally.
Both Dotel and Castillo said they had nothing to do with Peralta's alleged criminal activities.
Both Dotel and Castillo say they had nothing to do with Peralta's alleged criminal activity
Castillo's lawyer, Darren Heitner, demanded an apology from the Dominican government for involving his client the day after the story broke out.
"We request information and ultimately an apology, because Luis Castillo has not been involved in any drug trafficking," Heitner told the Athletic on August 22.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news