A floor plan is a scaled 2D diagram of any property, as small as a room or big as a building. It displays each and every detail of the space, from movable items to doors, windows, and walls. Hence, it is pretty understandable that making one can take so much time and skill.
So, whether you need to make a quick floor plan for a presentation or are new to creating them, smart tools are the way to go. Here, options like EdrawMax and Microsoft are at the top.
The smart scaling features and easy UI give EdrawMax an edge and makes it easy to start the process. So, here is a complete guide on how to create floor plan and scale it on this drawing tool.
How to Create a Floor Plan using EdrawMax
Create a Floor Plan from Scratch in 7 Steps
Here is how you can create a floor plan from scratch that is perfect for scaling on EdrawMax.
- Download the EdrawMax application on your computer and sign up. Enter the login information to start the process.
- Go to the main menu and click New > Engineering > Building Plan > Floor Plan. Doing so will open the editing panel, where you can create the diagram from scratch.
- Select a scale for your floor plan. Locate the Floor Plan icon on the top-right corner to customize things like unit, length, height, and precision.
- Next, open the symbol library from the left-side setting panel and draw exterior and interior lines to draft out a basic layout of the property. Just drag the one you need in the diagram and paste it on the canvas. You can also elongate these lines using the cursor.
- Once the basic outline is complete, it is time to add doors and windows to your floor plan. For this, go to the Doors and Windows Section on the symbol library and drag any preferred element onto the canvas. You can open and change the direction of the door using the rotation icon above each door shape.
- After this, include moveable items in your property layout. Go back to the symbol library and find the section with the accessory you want. For instance, go to the Kitchen section to add a sink or the Bedroom section to draw a bedroom.
- Finally, add dimension lines to scale your floor plan accurately. Go to the toolbar on the left side and type Dimension Lines in the search bar. Choose any line that is perfect for your diagram and apply it. Congratulations, your floor plan is ready.
Create a Floor Plan using Editable Templates in 3 Simple Steps
Are you in a hurry and need a floor plan ready by tomorrow? Save time and find customizable model examples from the EdrawMax template library. Here is how you can edit these templates;
- Open the EdrawMax application and log into your account to start creating a floor plan.
- Open the Template community. For this, click Templates > Floor Plans from the main menu. There are a number of sections for you to choose from. First, identify what type of floor plan you are creating, whether it is sub-divisional or flat, or even ranch. Scroll down and select the one that matches your task description.
- Next, click Use Immediately. This will import all the data components of the template to the editing panel. Customize the elements within the plan using the symbol library. Moreover, build connections between spaces by adding or removing doors. Finally, your floor plan is all set to go.
Save and Export
- Lastly, go to the File Menu from the top-left corner and click Export > Preferred option. The good news is that you have multiple file formats to choose from, including PPT, PDF, PNG, and JPEG, etc.
Why is EdrawMax the Best Tool to Create Floor Plans?
EdrawMax floor plan creator is a smart option to scale your designs, all credit to its smart area calculation lines and easy UI. Moreover, the extensive symbol and template library do the job of creating a floor plan pretty straightforward. Here is why this will work for you, even if you are a beginner;
- Extensive Symbol Library: You can find over 26000 symbols on EdrawMax floor plan creator. It is divided into different sections, like bedrooms, kitchens, interior lines, doors, windows, and so on. Hence, it is easy to create a plan that has detailing and intricacy.
- Easy Intuitive Interface: Using EdrawMax is absolutely straightforward. Everything from the symbol library to the toolbar is easily accessible. So, it works for professionals and newbies alike.
- Area Calculation Measurements: This drawing tool also comes with area calculations that allow architects to scale their floor plans. All you need to do is select the right dimension lines for the layout and apply them.
- A Wide Range of Templates: The floor plan creator on EdrawMax features over 3500 templates. These include everything from flat to sub-divisional and ranch-style plans. All you need to do is pick one and edit it according to your task’s needs.
Why is a Floor Plan Important for Building any Property?
Having a well-organized floor plan has many benefits, including scaling, better communication, managing resources, and saving time. Here are some of the primary ones you must consider;
Makes it Easy to Communicate
Having a floor plan is always a bonus when it comes to buying any property or even building one. This is because it has a rough placement of how each thing is going to work within the space. This allows scope for communication and helps the contractors and architects over what can be improved.
Save Extra Time and Resources
Having everything present in the floor plan gives the contractor and designer clarity on where to start. So, when you know what type of materials to use and where to start, it is going to save you extra time and effort. Overall, the scaling process is quicker than usual with a floor plan at hand.
Sells the Property Faster
Not all real estate agents will provide you with a floor plan. If they do, it is certainly in their own favor and will help them in selling the property quicker. According to a study, it was estimated that 42% of buyers wouldn’t go for agents that didn’t provide them with a floor plan. This is because homeowners want to know about the space, like how many rooms there are or what are the placement options.
Don’t know how to make your first-ever floor plan? Most people would recommend you go for Microsoft. Although Microsoft is another great option, it can be a bit challenging for you. EdrawMax provides editable templates to give you a roadmap. So, for now, just make an account on EdrawMax and start working.