"Fit and good" woman swallowed her tramadol tablets while they STILL were in the foil pack

Woman swallowed her tablets as they STILL were in the foil packet in the middle of the night … and claims she had no idea until 17 days later when surgeons removed them

  • The woman, in her 40s & 40s, swallowed the package in the middle of the night
  • But she had forgotten and needed four hospital visits before doctors found it
  • The doctors held her twice in the night, but still could not heal her
  • The package caused discomfort and made it difficult for her to swallow

Sam Blanchard Health Reporter for Mailonline

A woman had to go to the hospital four times after she had swallowed the pills halfway through the night and had forgotten.

In the bizarre case, it took physicians more than two weeks to find the fit and well-woman who had a full plastic and foil packet in her throat.

Suffering from discomfort and difficulty swallowing, the nameless woman, in her 40s and from Northern Ireland, went to A & E.

Doctors were baffled when X-ray photos and other examinations showed nothing in her esophagus, but she continued to return during a frightening three-week & # 39 ;.

The package, of which the Northern Irish woman claimed that it had been swallowed and forgotten in her sleep, had been in her throat for more than two weeks before doctors could find it with the aid of a camera that was supplied through her mouth (photo, image) . the camera)

The package, of which the Northern Irish woman claimed that it had been swallowed and forgotten in her sleep, had been in her throat for more than two weeks before doctors could find it with the aid of a camera that was supplied through her mouth (photo, image) . the camera)

After repeated tests and overnight stays in the hospital, the package was finally discovered and removed after 17 days.

The patient claimed that she had taken the tramadol painkillers – only available on prescription – in the middle of the night.

But she did not remember that she had swallowed the entire plastic bag with them.

& # 39; I had no idea that I had swallowed this! & # 39; she said in the journal BMJ Case Reports. & # 39; It was a very frightening three weeks and I could not believe it when I saw the photo. & # 39;

Although the piece of plastic was in her throat for more than two weeks, the woman was still able to swallow food and water and breathe normally.

When doctors initially examined her, she also had no problems moving her neck and nothing unusual came in X-rays.

After the first visit to A & E, doctors believed that she had injured her throat by swallowing tablets normally, so she said she should come back if there was no improvement in two days.

Three days later she was admitted to the hospital and spent two days at a department that was treated with steroids and painkillers.

Five days later she received a barium swallow test, in which a patient swallows a liquid containing metal that can be seen on X-rays and shows problems in the digestive tract.

But this still did not give any indication as to what the woman could cause such problems.

Only after five more days did doctors send a camera through the patient's throat and discovered the true and peculiar cause of the problem.

She had swallowed her tramadol tablets in the original foil packet that had been placed in the upper esophagus, & # 39; wrote Dr. David McCrory in the case report.

She underwent a rigorous esophagoscopy and removal of foreign body without problems (17 days after taking her tablets!) And she was discharged after a period of observation. & # 39;

Dr. McCrory added that a foreign object that is in the throat involves a significant risk of illness or death because it can damage the tissue.

And he suggested that the barium swallow technique might not be accurate enough to check for objects in the throat of people, instead recommend CT scans.

THE FRENCH WOMAN PERFORIZES HER COMING BY SLIPPING PILLET PACKAGE

An elderly French woman perforated her bowel at four places after swallowing a portion of her blister pack, a case report unveiled last year.

The nameless 72-year-old swallowed the casing of her allergy tablets for two weeks before seeking medical help.

Surgeons were forced to remove 30 cm from her gut after the scans showed that the sharp edges had pinched holes in her organ.

Blister packs, which are commonly used by drug companies, are usually presented in a plastic shell enclosed by an aluminum plate.

The 72-year-old, who was not mentioned, had swallowed the housing of her allergy tablets two weeks prior to seeking medical help.

The 72-year-old, who was not mentioned, had swallowed the housing of her allergy tablets two weeks prior to seeking medical help.

The 72-year-old, who was not mentioned, had swallowed the housing of her allergy tablets two weeks prior to seeking medical help.

Once divided, portions of sharp edges forming a risk object when ingested are written by physicians in the BMJ Case Reports.

The morbidly obese woman, who had a BMI of 46 (almost double that which is normal), told doctors that she had been fighting the discomfort for about 15 days.

Doctors performed different tests before they chose to send the woman for a CT scan, to examine her abdomen. Then they sent her to the operating room to remove part of her ileum – the last part of the gut.

.

_taboola.push({mode:'thumbnails-a', container:'taboola-below-article', placement:'below-article', target_type: 'mix'}); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({mode:'thumbnails-a', container:'taboola-below-article-second', placement:'below-article-2nd', target_type: 'mix'});
You might also like More from author