Secret ‘fight club’ at the prestigious private school of $ 83,000 per year, once visited by Prince Charles, has been closed
- Male students have been involved in an organized fighting club in the guest house
- The co-ed Anglican school sent a letter to the parents confirming the ‘boxing parties’
- The fighting took place after going out to the boarding house of the boys of Cuthbertson
- School leaders said the organized combat ring goes against his values and ethos
Students from Geelong Grammar, one of the most prestigious schools in Australia, have been involved in an organized fighting club in one of the guest houses.
The co-ed Anglican school, an hour’s drive southwest of Melbourne, told parents that “many” students in the Cuthbertson’s boys’ guesthouse participated in “boxing” after the lights went out.
The $ 83,000 school per year, where Prince Charles studied two semesters in 1966, sent a letter to parents last Wednesday to confirm the illegal fighting.
“There were many students involved and we have found that no student is more responsible than another,” the letter from school leaders obtained by the Herald Sun.read.
The co-ed Anglican school, an hour’s drive south of Melbourne, told parents that “many” students in Cuthbertson’s boys’ hostel were involved in the organized fighting circle
Kindergarten to school 12 years, where Prince Charles studied two semesters in 1966, said the fight ring goes against his values. Pictured: Prince Charles chats with 10 year old students in 2005
“Although our understanding of the many guys we have talked to is that these attacks were not intended to cause harm and arose from an understanding that this was expected or normalized behavior, it is not something that we approve or want within any aspect of our school environment. “
It is clear that fighting in the guesthouse was a tradition in the school, which was founded in 1855.
Participants put pillows and mattresses on the floor to act as a ‘boxing ring’ for the fighting.
It is also believed that an older student broke his hand during a competition earlier this year.
Kindergarten up to 12 years old said the fight ring went against its core values.
“If there was previously uncertainty about the suitability of such activities, we now want to state very clearly that our priority is always the safety of children. Actions that violate this priority will not be tolerated, “the letter said.
The letter further stated that staff will work closely with students, particularly those at Cuthbertson House, to “eradicate antisocial behavior.”
The $ 83,000 school per year sent a letter to parents last Wednesday saying that male students had participated in “boxing celebrations” after the lights went out (stock image)
The elite school has been plagued by scandals in recent months.
In September last year, medicines were found in another guest house on campus while students were back home for a weekend away.
Then a female student claimed in October that she had been verbally raped by a male student in a study.
The teenager, 18, reported the alleged incident that took place in August to the police who said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
The girl’s father said he was “furious” about the school’s handling of the alleged incident.