The FBI has opened an investigation into a female soldier’s assault by several male Afghan refugees at the US Army’s Fort Bliss base in New Mexico.
The alleged attack took place on Sunday, around midnight, when at least three men allegedly attacked the soldier near her car after she arrived for work at the Dona Ana complex, which had been hosting refugees housed from Afghanistan. . ABC 7 reports.
“We can confirm that a female soldier supporting Operation Allies Welcome reported that she was attacked by a small group of male evacuees on Sept. 19,” said Lt. Col. Allie Payne, director of public affairs for Fort Bliss and the 1st Armored Division. .
“We take the allegation seriously and have appropriately referred the matter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”
The female soldier has not been identified.
The attack took place at the Army’s Dona Ana complex at Fort Bliss base in New Mexico. Pictured, Afghan refugees being processed in the camp on September 10
The base began setting up tents and hosting refugees from Afghanistan in August
Refugees lined up to find housing in Dona Ana . village complex
A man walks into the complex with a child. Soldiers are posted in the camp to help the refugees who have flown from Afghanistan
The soldier received medical care and counseling after the attack. She is said to have recovered from her physical injuries.
Payne added that more security measures were being taken at the camp, including improved lighting and enforcing a “buddy system.”
Nearly 10,000 refugees are housed at the base, USA today reported.
Special Agent Jeanette Harper, of the FBI’s El Paso Division, confirmed that the agency was investigating the matter.
US Representative Yvette Herrell, who represents the area, called the news a failed screening. Fox reports.
“My prayers are with the brave soldier and her family. This is another tragic failure in the control process for Afghan citizens,” Herrell tweeted. “The American people deserve answers.”
Families were accommodated in the camp after being screened and vetted
The army said it was stepping up security measures in the camp after the attack
The attack comes days after two Afghan refugees were arrested at the US Air Force base camp in Wisconsin.
On Wednesday, the Justice Department announced that Bahrullah Noori, 20, was charged with attempted sexual acts with a minor, using violence against that person, along with three other cases of sex with a minor.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Haroon Imaad, 32, is being charged with domestic violence after allegedly choking and suffocating his wife on September 17.
Both offenses reportedly happened while the two were staying at Fort McCoy in Wisconsin – where they were taken after their evacuation from Afghanistan.
They were both taken off the base and are now being held in Dane County Jail.
They were due to appear in federal court in Madison on Thursday.
Bahrullah Noori, left, is charged with attempted sexual acts with a minor at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. Mohammed Haroon Imaad, right, is accused of domestic violence after allegedly choking his wife
If convicted, Noori faces a minimum of 30 years in prison and a maximum of life in prison for using force alone, with a maximum of 15 years for the other charges.
Imaad’s alleged victim told investigators he had strangled her and “threatened to send her back to Afghanistan, where the Taliban could treat her,” a complaint said. WISN.
Imaad faces a maximum prison sentence of 10 years