Fear of thousands of university jobs at risk after a ban on Chinese students in the midst of an outbreak of coronavirus
Thousands of university jobs can be jeopardized because a ban on Chinese students entering the country is still taking place during the corona virus outbreak.
The Australian government extended the two-week travel ban from mainland China to prevent the COVID-19 from spreading this week for another seven days.
Due to the cancellation of the trip, 100,000 international students cannot go to Australian universities.
Almost one in four employees in the academic world is casual, which means that they can easily be fired if the number of students decreases.
The National Academic Union has called on Vice Chancellors to guarantee their jobs.
Alison Barnes of the National Tertiary Education Union said: ‘We have written to the university vice chancellors to oblige them that the casuals that would normally work from day 1 of the semester are no worse off due to changes in the timetable to coronavirus . “
Thousands of university jobs can be jeopardized because a ban on Chinese students entering the country continues in the midst of the corona virus outbreak
The Australian government extended the two-week travel ban from mainland China to prevent the spread of COVID-19 this week by another seven days
In 2017/18, foreign university students accounted for around $ 32 billion generated in the Australian economy as a domino effect, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Their allowances and living costs represent, according to government trade figures, Australia’s third largest export of only iron ore and coal.
Almost a third of those who are trapped in China and will look to other places to go to college, according to a study by the Education Consultants Association of Australia.
Of the 16,000 students surveyed, 32 percent said they would enroll in another country if they could not complete the first semester of 2020 in Australia, SBS reported.
Canada and the UK have no travel bans.
Universities and the $ 37.9 billion higher education industry may end up in chaos if international students are unable to return in time for the semester.
China, Australia’s largest trading partner, is the number 1 source of international students.
They accounted for 38.3 percent of foreign education registrations in 2018, while figures from the Department of Education showed that 152,591 were studying in Australia.
Nearly a third of Australia’s international students can be lost to other countries if the corona virus travel ban from China continues to exist. On the photo: people in Sydney with face masks in January after news about the coronavirus outbreak
Prime Minister Scott Morrison extended a travel ban on Friday for another week for people traveling from China to Australia
Some Australian universities have already delayed the start of the semester due to the corona virus, but international students could look elsewhere.
When asked where they would lead their studies, 58 percent of the students chose the UK, 31 percent for Canada and six percent for the US.
The study, conducted between February 5 and February 9 at WeChat, questioned 73 percent of students who had already studied in Australia.
Now that classes are resumed in March, 100,000 students are still stuck in China.
Group of Eight (Go8) chief executive Vicki Thomson said the findings are worrying because major competitors, the UK and Canada, had no travel bans.
“This could be a missed opportunity,” she said.
Mrs. Thomson said that the loss of students could immediately lead to a loss of $ 3 billion in costs if Chinese students do not come to Australia.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan acknowledged that extensive prohibitions can cause major disruption.
“It is very awaiting what happens,” said Mr. Tehan Sunday against Sky News.
“But my hope is that we will see some sort of breakthrough and that we can get students here for the first semester, but we’ll have to wait and see.”
Meanwhile, the Australian government is sending a medical expert to Japan to help the authorities with growing concern about passengers on the cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama because of the corona virus.
Foreign travelers who have recently left mainland China or have passed by, currently have no access to our coasts. The photo shows visitors arriving in Brosbane before the ban was introduced.
The infectious diseases expert will join an international team to collect information about the passengers, including the 200 Australians aboard the Diamond Princess.
US citizens on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that have been confirmed to be infected with the corona virus will not be returned to the United States on a scheduled charter flight, a Japanese government official said.
The US said earlier on Saturday that it would send a plane to Japan to bring American passengers back to the Diamond Princess, where most coronavirus infections occurred outside of China.
The Australian Embassy in Tokyo has since mailed citizens aboard the cruise ship to indicate that the federal government is also investigating options to help Australians.
Australia’s maritime trade unions are concerned that its members are being jeopardized by the arrival of container ships from mainland China, which, in their view, in some cases dock in violation of the travel ban.
Opposition leader Anthony Albanese has raised this issue with the government and the chief medical officer and is assured that they are aware of the situation.
“We must be vigilant and ensure that Australian health is the first priority,” Mr Albanian told reporters in Perth.
In China, the total number of people infected with the virus rose to more than 66,000 on Saturday, with the number of deaths beyond 1500.
A total of 1700 Chinese health workers who were infected, with six dead.
No Australians on Christmas Island and Darwin in quarantine tested positive for the virus, with the first group of evacuees returning home on Monday.
The Australian Border Force makes arrangements to transfer those who have been quarantined on Christmas Island after they have been evacuated medically.
Of the 15 coronavirus cases in Australia, six are all healthy and healthy and the remaining nine are all stable.
If the travel ban is extended, a maximum of 100,000 international students cannot return to Australia in time for the start of the semester
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented 24 hours later to the emergency department after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their 60s who arrived in Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives have been confirmed to have a corona virus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- From 15 February, 15 Australians are among the 219 confirmed cases of the corona virus contracted aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.