Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

FC Dallas pulls out of MLS’s Back tournament after TEN players test positive for coronavirus

Dallas FC forced to withdraw from MLS Back tournament in Orlando after TEN of their players tested positive for coronavirus

  • MLS confirmed that out of 13 positive tests from 557 players, 10 came from Dallas
  • Two players also tested positive from Nashville and one from Columbus
  • Former Arsenal player Carlos Vela has also withdrawn from the tournament
  • LAFC forward chose to protect the health of the family with an expected second child

FC Dallas withdrew from the MLS is Back tournament in Florida after 10 players tested positive for coronavirus.

The league said on Monday that of the 557 players secluded in a few Walt Disney World hotels, 13 tested positive: 10 from Dallas, two from Nashville and one from Columbus.

The decision was made in the interest of the other players in the tournament. The number of positive cases also meant that Dallas was unable to play competitive games.

Dallas FC Forced To Withdraw From MLS Is Tournament After 10 Of Their Players Tested Positive For Coronavirus

Dallas FC Forced To Withdraw From MLS Is Tournament After 10 Of Their Players Tested Positive For Coronavirus

“The decision not to let them participate in the tournament is in the interest of everyone, the Dallas players and the other 25 teams, and allows us to continue to manage the health and safety of our players as we continue with our plan, ”said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

FC Dallas announced last week that six players had tested positive for the tournament on arrival in Florida and the entire team had been quarantined. With this, the team’s opening game was postponed on Thursday against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

With the withdrawal of Dallas, Major League Soccer came up with a new schedule for the one-month tournament that can be played without fans at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World.

The tournament still opens on Wednesday with a nationally televised game between Orlando City and Inter Miami expansion.

On Monday, LAFC attacker Carlos Vela signed out of the tournament out of concern for his wife, who is expecting their second child.

“I always want to give everything I have to my club, our fans and supporters and the city of LA,” Vela said in a statement. “However, it is in the interest of my family’s health to stay at home and be with my wife during a risky pregnancy.”

MLS retired due to the coronavirus pandemic on March 12 after teams played two games each.

Former Arsenal attacker Carlos Vela, who has not tested positive for the virus, has also withdrawn to protect the health of his family, while the LAFC star's wife was expecting their second child

Former Arsenal attacker Carlos Vela, who has not tested positive for the virus, has also withdrawn to protect the health of his family, while the LAFC star's wife was expecting their second child

Former Arsenal attacker Carlos Vela, who has not tested positive for the virus, has also withdrawn to protect the health of his family, while the LAFC star’s wife was expecting their second child

Garber vowed to stop the tournament if warranted.

“If at any time there is a situation where I believe the protocols are not working and the health and safety of our players are at risk, then I will make the decision to end the tournament,” said Garber. “I dedicated that to the players early on and to our entire league. But this proves that our protocols worked and that our plan has been sound so far. ‘

FC Dallas previously revealed that all players and staff tested negative for the Corona virus before leaving for the tournament on June 27. Two players tested positive on arrival. Subsequent tests found four more players infected with the virus that causes COVID-19.

In consultation with MLS medical officials, FC Dallas has taken proactive measures to isolate the newly affected players and all players and staff of FC Dallas in Orlando with caution. All members of the club delegation follow MLS health and safety protocols and remain quarantined in their hotel rooms pending the results of further COVID-19 tests, “the team said in a statement.

The league said no other team had contact with the FC Dallas delegation. The League protocol requires players and staff to be tested every two days on arrival in Florida.

Advertisement

.