Father’s struggles with a broken heart to tell divorced parents when their children’s lives are in danger
In the heartbroken father’s battle to hear divorced parents when their children’s lives are in danger – after losing his son in suspicious circumstances
- The man’s two-year-old had sustained injuries, including broken bones and bruises
- Four months earlier, the child had been rushed to hospital for life-saving treatment
- The father said on Wednesday that he had been fighting for an inquest for six years
- He hopes it will lead to more rights for parents who have joint custody
- He believes that when a child is taken to hospital, staff should notify both parents
A father whose son died under suspicious circumstances fights for divorced parents to be told when their child is being treated for life-threatening circumstances.
An autopsy found that the Melbourne man’s two-year-old had suffered injuries in hospital six years ago, including broken bones and bruises in the hospital.
Four months earlier, the child had been rushed to hospital after suffocation for life-saving treatment.
A father whose infant son died in suspicious circumstances fights for divorced parents to hear when their child is being treated for life-threatening circumstances (stock image)
The boyfriend of the boy’s mother was charged with murder over the death of the child, but the charges were later dropped.
The father told Victoria’s Coroners Court on Wednesday that he had fought for six years before an inquest to shed light on the circumstances surrounding his son’s death.
He hopes it will lead to more rights for parents who have joint custody of their children, or those who do not have custody.
The man shared custody of his two young sons with his ex-wife.
Although he wasn’t concerned about their safety with her, he didn’t know at the time how much time they spent alone with her boyfriend.
The man was shocked when he praised doctors and nurses at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne for caring for his son.
He believes that when a child is taken to hospital in an emergency, staff should be obliged to notify both parents.
He said he understood that different parental order scenarios could make things difficult for them, but at the very least he hoped he would have been notified that his son had been treated.
‘I think I can confidently speak on behalf of any parent in Victoria, Australia, the world that … both parents, regardless of whether they live in the same home or not, (should) be contacted and made aware of the circumstances surrounding the emergency, ”he said.
He said he was not told until after the incident and that the information he received from the boy’s mother was limited.
The father also fights for parents who do not have custody and become joint guardians to be made aware of any involvement of child services or warrants of intervention involving their children.
Only later did he learn about a series of events involving warrants of intervention sought by the police and rejected by the mother.
The inquest revealed that the mother’s ex-boyfriend was later investigated for an incident involving another child.
The man faced a series of charges after another friend’s young son took methamphetamine, believed to be his.
Those charges were dropped after prosecutors failed to prove the child suffered any harm.
But he confessed allegations of drug possession, compounded by the boy’s exposure to the drug.