Cypriot hotel owners for father and son have been imprisoned for the death of a British teenager who drowned in their ‘dirty’ hotel pool after falling after a late evening session.
Savvakis Georgiou Alexandrou, 18, was found a few hours after slipping and drowning in the swimming pool, after a night full of alcohol in Ayia Napa.
Although there were apparently more than a dozen people around the pool, no one noticed what had happened to him until a female swimmer tripped over his body on the bottom of the garbage-filled pool on the morning of August 18, 2014.
The swimming pool was described as green with algae and strewn with waste containing syringes, condoms and butts.
Savvakis Georgiou Alexandrou, 18, pictured with his step sister Monica Michael, 24, who played on the X factor a week after his death
Savvakis Alexandros Georgiou (photo) drowned in the swimming pool in the early hours of August 18, 2014. A Cypriot father and son were imprisoned for a total of seven months
The owners of the hotel, at the time a father and son aged 63 and 33, were sentenced to four and three months’ imprisonment respectively, while the company they ran was also fined € 2,000 according to local media.
Alexandrou was a promising football player, at the time of his death in the books of League Two football club Stevenage FC.
His step sister, youth worker Monica Michael, 24, appeared a week after his death on talent show X Factor.
She talked about her heartache after being wowing jury members in the show six years ago. “It’s hard to believe he was at my audition, and now he’s not here anymore,” she said.
“Sav was a big, big fan of the X-factor and he always wanted to see the show and how it was performed and I was happy to see my audition before he died.
“It was really hard to watch the show on Saturday without him and I just hope he is at peace in heaven.”
Savvakis Alexandros Georgiou was found floating in the pool after slipping and drowning
Savvakis Alexandros Georgiou with girlfriend Mercedes Cole. Mrs. Cole wrote a moving tribute to him after his body had flown back home and said, “All I can say is that I had the world’s best friend and would do absolutely anything to be back in his arms, MY beautiful angel.” “
His step sister, youth worker Monica Michael, 24, appeared on talent show X Factor a week after his death
“Sav was a big, big fan of the X factor and he always wanted to see the show and how it was performed and I was happy to see my audition before he died,” she said in the show.
Alexandrou had traveled with his cousin to the Ayia Napa party hotspot after visiting their grandparents in nearby Protaras, just a few miles away.
He was actually booked in another hotel, but then moved to a hotel that was part of the same group, the Kalypso with 194 rooms, where he drowned.
His girlfriend Mercedes Cole wrote a moving tribute to him after his body had flown home and said: “All I can say is that I had the world’s best friend and would do absolutely anything to be back in his arms MY beautiful angel . “
An autopsy confirmed that the victim had drowned and that alcohol consumption was a contributing factor.
The court said: “He had previously drunk a large amount of alcohol, something that made his death silent and unnoticeable to others at the location.”
The court added that signs surrounding the complex warning about the risk of drinking were “an oxymoron, because the people to whom the signs related had a reduced perception of the risk due to alcohol consumption.”
Prosecutors also compared the signs with a ‘fig leaf’ and not with a good security measure.
Savvakis pictured with his family before his death. An autopsy confirmed that the victim had drowned and that alcohol consumption was a contributing factor
Savvakis was a promising football player and was in the books of League Two football club Stevenage FC at the time of his death.
The courts said: “[The] the use of the swimming pool in the early morning hours was not only open to people who had previously drunk alcohol, but was effectively encouraged, from what was shown, as part of a package combining alcohol consumption and the functioning of the swimming pool. “
According to local media, the revelers ended up in the pool in the early hours of the morning after leaving the town’s night clubs and hotspots.
Although the pool bar was open and alcohol sold to guests, according to the reports, there were no lifeguards present.
The court said: “The defendants had created a dangerous situation due to the operation of a pool that was not maintained by a lifeguard, combined with the operation of an adjacent bar where alcoholic beverages were served without the necessary guarantees for the participants.”
The court ruled that these mistakes caused the death of the 18-year-old Briton.