A third of the residents of a virus-affected care home died in just ten days.
In a strong example of the industry crisis, six died because staff struggled to contain an outbreak.
Last night, the daughter of one of the dead said the nursing homes in the state had been left “bad.”
Rhona White, 64 – whose mother Peggy Grainger, 86, read a touching last letter from her family because they were unable to visit – said, “The whole situation is just criminal. People are allowed to die in these houses and no one really seems to care. ‘
Ian Charles Leverington (left), 70, a retired engineer, was the first resident to die on April 3, while Gillian Howard (right), 77, who was described by the nursing home as ‘an extravagant person,’ died on April 8
About 85 percent of caregivers at the Philia Care Home in Peterborough have fallen ill or had to isolate themselves after contact with carriers.
At the beginning of the month, the house had 18 residents. Six died in a ten-day period from April 3.
Eight of the remaining 12 are believed to be infected, although three have been recovered. Employees try to stay healthy, but many are struggling to get personal protective equipment (PPE).
At one point, they even resorted to making homemade plastic wallet visors with Alice bands all over their faces.
Bosses warned yesterday about inadequate financial support and the dramatic loss of residents sparked a financing crisis that could lead to closure – which would be repeated in homes across the UK.
General manager Carol Smit: “We cannot keep this up indefinitely.”
Manager Heidi Seldon, who entered the house and sleeps in her office, said, “What I wasn’t prepared for was how hard it would get emotional to see so many of my residents suffer from coronavirus.
“We try to keep ourselves together and hope that some light comes to the end of the tunnel.”
George Smith (left), 88, who was described as’ a caring man who has cared for his own loved ones all his life ‘died last Friday, while Peggy Grainger (right), who was described as a’ gentle, loving person who always comes first her family ‘died’ on Monday
Laura Dunn-Green, a nurse in the nursing home, read a last family letter to Peggy Grainger before her death
Deputy director Zdenka Dunczikiva fell ill again after she fell ill. The 29-year-old, who stays in the house day and night and left her five-year-old son with her parents, said, “Unfortunately, six people have died and it looks like more will go. The next few days will be really difficult. ‘
The first resident to die on April 3 was retired engineer Ian Leverington, aged 70. His only child, Haley Leverington, 38, said, “My dad would still be alive if the virus wasn’t there.
“It’s a hidden scandal because the death toll could be twice as high as they learn from nursing homes.
“But they only look at NHS hospitals and the general public. Just because they’re older doesn’t mean they don’t have the right to be recognized. ‘
Other victims included Gillian Howard, 77, who died on April 8 and was described by the nursing home as “an extravagant person” who “loved to tell stories about her past and her connections to the royal family.”
George Smith, who died at the age of 88 last Friday, was “a caring man who has cared for his own loved ones all his life,” while Mrs. Grainger, who died Monday, has been described as a gentle, loving person who has always been her family posted first ‘.
The home, which was rated good by the Care Quality Commission last year, is one of six managed by Trust Care Management Group. None of the others have been affected by Covid-19 so far.
About 85 percent of caregivers in the Peterborough virus affected by care homes have fallen ill or have to isolate themselves after contact with carriers
The local health care engagement group (CCG) recently increased its budget by just 4 percent – less than the deficit caused by increases in national living wages, inflation and rising PPE costs.
A quarter of the annual PPE budget is spent in just three weeks on goggles, jackets, visors and gloves. Senior staff also claimed that the CCG had made a verbal agreement to block the purchase of all beds for six months, but withdrew due to the virus outbreak.
Ms Smit yesterday called on the government to end the two-tier system whereby the NHS does not pay VAT on personal protective equipment, but pays full price for healthcare institutions. She said there should be an “emergency measure” to cut VAT during the crisis, adding, “That would at least give us some kind of financial support.”
There are also concerns about who will administer end-of-life medications, including pain relief.
GPs stopped visiting the house at the beginning of the pandemic and district nurses have warned that they may not be able to attend in the future due to staffing problems.
Chris Graham, the group’s national operations manager, said, “She [staff] have received training from Zoom or Skype.
However, the home must be insured and reimbursed. There must be training and competence. ‘
Trust Care Management Group is owned by Mrs. Smit and her business partner and is run by two families.
It started in 2010 with two care homes. Philia Lodge was fourth. The house normally has a budget of £ 46 a week for PPE. In the past three weeks, it has spent £ 1,236.
Public Health England supplied 300 face masks to each healthcare facility at the onset of the crisis, but “unaccompanied.”
Mr Graham said, “We didn’t use it at the time because we didn’t have a positive case. But people [at other homes] used them because they thought they were delivered for use [as a preventive measure]. ‘
Peterborough City Council also provided gloves and aprons for four days after establishing a Covid-19 response team. But there were no glasses or face masks because they were out of stock – they had already been sent to NHS hospitals.
Ms. Smit said, “The government should have had an emergency plan.” No sick residents were expelled from the hospital – but the house was usually told to keep them under their care. Sick persons were assessed by a GP [remotely], or by paramedics or call handlers on the 111 service.
Mr. Graham said, “We were told to stay at home because they were reaching the end of their lives.”
■ Latest coronavirus video news, opinions and expert advice at mailplus.co.uk/ coronavirus
… and 24 dead in another tragic house
Twenty-four residents died in a care home in about three weeks.
A third of the victims in Bradwell Hall’s nursing home had tested positive for Covid-19, while others died after not suffering from “pneumonia-like symptoms.”
The first positive test at home in Staffordshire took place on March 23, the day Boris Johnson ordered Britain to close.
Days later, it made a public call for face mask donations. The purpose-built facility is the largest nursing home in the province, with 163 single rooms and 12 shared rooms. About 140 inhabitants live there.
The BBC reported last night that on top of the 24 known deceased, another ten elderly residents and one employee isolate themselves after positive tests.
Among the dead are grandfather Reg Amison, 86, whose son Robert, 58, told the Daily Mail yesterday that the government should improve access to protective equipment and virus testing for care workers.
He said, “The staff had almost no equipment to stop the spread of the disease. I don’t blame the house, they took very good care of my father.
“But the government should step up testing, and primary care nurses and caregivers should be tested first.”
Edward Twigge, owner of the house, said the past three weeks had been “truly heartbreaking for everyone involved.”
It has since partnered with the Staffordshire County Council, Public Health England (PHE) and the NHS to reduce infection rates and has been closed to new admissions for over three weeks.
The house brought cleaning, self-protection, and self-isolation measures on the advice of PHE as soon as symptoms developed, Dr. Nic Coetzee from PHE West Midlands.
100 of the employees were self-insulated after the first cases were found. The rest are brought up to temperature every day when they come to work. In the same three-week period last year, there were only five deaths at home.