Family members of a second gunman accused of murder during Kansas City’s Super Bowl parade held two fundraisers for “hospital bills,” as pictured for the first time.
Jamie Batres, 39, launched a cash appeal to Classful for a ride to and from hospital to visit her son, alleged murderer Dominic Miller, 18, along with two photographs of him lying seriously ill in his bed of hospital.
Miller’s sister, Haylee Scott, 22, also created a GoFundMe asking for help with hospital bills, as “times would be tough.” She raised $85 before it was eliminated.
The family of Lyndell Mays, the other accused adult, also created a page on the same site, although it has now also been deactivated. Mays, 23, has already left the hospital.
He was among those injured at the February 14 celebration when he was shot in the stomach. She underwent surgery at University Health Truman Medical Center.
Dominic Miller’s family used this photo of him to try to raise cash through GoFundMe. The page has now been deactivated and on Tuesday Miller was charged with second-degree murder.
Miller underwent surgery at University Health Truman Medical Center. Her grandfather confirmed to DailyMal.com that she remains in the hospital.
A second man, Lyndell Mays, 23, has also been charged with murder. He appears in a mugshot from a previous arrest for displaying a gun during an argument over a girl.
Batres, who received no donations toward his $1,000 goal, described his son as “fighting for his life” after the shooting, but prosecutors deemed him healthy enough to be charged in connection with the horrific bloodbath.
She wrote on Classful: ’18-year-old Kansas City Chiefs victim fighting for his life. The mother is from Wichita Kansas and needs help with hotel, food and transportation to and from the hospital.
“He is still in the ICU fighting for his life.”
Miller’s grandfather, Donald Trent, confirmed to DailyMail.com that he remains in hospital after being shot in the abdomen.
He said: “He is up and walking, he is fine after surgery.” We do not want to comment further because it is an ongoing investigation.
Other relatives told DailyMail.com that they have not been able to see Miller in hospital since he was formally charged and are currently unsure of his whereabouts.
Marques Harris, who was shot in the jaw, told Fox4KC that Miller was trying to protect him from Mays.
Miller posted several photographs, seen by DailyMail.com, of himself with pistols along with other people on his social media, under the name ‘Glockuser Domo’.
On Tuesday, Miller was charged with second-degree murder in last week’s shooting that killed local radio DJ Lisa López-Galván.
He remains in stable condition at the hospital and is being held under armed guard, with bail set at $1 million.
Prosecutors say Miller is the one who fired the fatal shot that killed Lisa, but also charged Mays with murder alleging he pulled out his gun and fired first in the incident that prosecutors say injured 25 people.
Mays’ sister refuted the allegations, telling DailyMail.com that Mays was “innocent” and “protecting” her.
Miller’s friends also claim he was a victim of the shooting, saying he only responded after Mays attacked their group.
Marques Harris claims Mays “stared” at his 15-year-old friend before pulling out his gun and shooting him in the jaw.
He told FOX4 that Miller should not have been charged because he was acting in self-defense — he only fired after Mays fired the first shot.
Court documents obtained by DailyMail.com show Miller admitted to being in possession of a Taurus G3 9mm handgun.
DJ Lisa López-Galván (left) was killed when a shooting occurred at the Feb. 14 parade celebrating the Kansas City Chiefs’ victory in Super Bowl LVIII.
A total of 25 people were hit by gunfire during the parade. At least five other people were also injured.
A law enforcement officer tours the scene after the tragedy.
He told officers he was being shot at, so he returned fire, estimating he used four to five bullets, but “wasn’t sure if he hit the individual he was shooting at.” Miller added that he did not see anyone else armed at the time of the shooting.
Mays previously faced charges for another weapons offense and was recently released from two years of probation.
He was accused of displaying a gun during a dispute while playing basketball at a community center in Belton, Missouri, during an argument “over a girl,” according to court documents.
Both Mays and Miller are being treated at University Health Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, where they are under 24/7 monitoring.
Both Miller and Mays have also been charged with armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon following the Valentine’s Day shooting at the Super Bowl LVIII winners’ parade.
If convicted, the two could face life behind bars. They are being held on bail of $1,000,000. Both remain in the hospital under 24-hour surveillance.
Mays told officers he only fired one or two shots, adding, “He just pulled out a gun and started shooting.” He shouldn’t have done that. I’m just being stupid.
Officers recovered a Glock pistol found near Mays when he was taken to the hospital in a pool of blood, and court documents reveal it had been stolen.
At least 30 people were injured in the shooting, in which one person was killed and 25 suffered gunshot wounds. Police confirmed that the injured ranged in age from eight to 47 years old, half of them under 16 years old.
Miller’s mother, Jamie Batres, created a Classful page to help her with hotel, food and transportation from Wichita to see her son, who is accused of murder. Her sister created a similar GoFundMe page.
The family of 23-year-old Lyndell Mays also created this GoFundMe for him before he was charged in the Kansas City Super Bowl parade shooting, which left one person dead.
Dominic Miller (left) and Lyndell Mays are detained along with two unidentified minors for the massacre that rocked the parade. Prosecutors say more suspects are being sought
Mays and Miller are not the two juveniles who had been charged with weapons-related offenses and resisting arrest last week. They have not been identified.
Jean Peters Baker, Jackson County prosecutor, added that “they are not done yet” and that other suspects who were involved in the shooting are being sought.
Tributes have poured in for mother-of-two Lisa, the local radio disc jockey who died during emergency surgery after suffering a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
His devastated family thanked the Jackson County prosecutors’ office and Kansas City police in a new statement Tuesday following the charges.
They added: ‘The effort and hours spent quickly investigating this senseless act of violence are extremely commendable.
‘It is comforting for our family and the entire community to know that this joint team effort has resulted in the identification of the suspects involved.
“While it does not bring back our beloved Lisa, it is comforting to know that the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office and KCPD made it a top priority to seek justice for Lisa, the other victims of the shooting, those who had to witness this unfold. tragedy and the Kansas City community.
Counseling sessions were held for those affected by the shooting on Wednesday, and police urged anyone injured in the shooting, including those who were trampled, to contact police to help with investigations.