Advertisements
Denishar Woods was 11 years old when she was shocked with a maximum of 230 volts when she touched a garden tap on the grounds of her family in Beldon in March last year

An investigation into the near-fatal electrocution of a young girl at a public housing has not yielded any concrete findings about the cause of the tragedy.

Advertisements

Denishar Woods was 11 years old when she was shocked with a maximum of 230 volts when she touched a garden tap in March 2018 at her family's home in Beldon, Perth.

She suffered serious brain damage and had little chance of survival, but when her life support was turned off, she could breathe for herself.

The electrocution effectively made her blind, wheelchair bound, fed through a tube in her stomach and unable to do anything for herself.

A report on the cause of the shock, which was released on Friday, concluded that the neutral conductor on a cable from the air service – which supplied electricity to the property – melted after being exposed to prolonged heating.

Denishar Woods was 11 years old when she was shocked with a maximum of 230 volts when she touched a garden tap on the grounds of her family in Beldon in March last year

Denishar Woods was 11 years old when she was shocked with a maximum of 230 volts when she touched a garden tap on the grounds of her family in Beldon in March last year

Denishar Woods (center) and her family are taking civil action against the West Australian government
Advertisements

Denishar Woods (center) and her family are taking civil action against the West Australian government

Denishar Woods (center) and her family are taking civil action against the West Australian government

Denishar Woods pictured before she received an almost fatal electric shock from touching a garden tap in her house

Denishar Woods pictured before she received an almost fatal electric shock from touching a garden tap in her house

Denishar Woods pictured before she received an almost fatal electric shock from touching a garden tap in her house

On the day of the electric shock a kettle was switched on and what was left of the conductor melted, breaking the neutral connection and electrifying the metal grounding system of the accommodation.

Denishar was shocked after she went outside to shut off a garden tap that was connected to the earthing system and had an electrical supply.

& # 39; The loss of this neutral conductor ensured that the electrical grounding system in the house and the associated water / gas lines came under voltage with a voltage up to 230V & # 39 ;, according to the report.

Advertisements

When she hit the tap while standing barefoot on bare ground, she became a parallel path for the flow of electric current.

The report noted that Denishar's mother, Lacy Harrison, had called the home authority after hours of emergency telephone call to report smaller electrical shocks and had received two other daughters earlier that day when they touched the main switch housing.

The operator advised that an electrician would visit the premises later that night or the following morning.

The source of the prolonged heat on the neutral conductor could not be determined because the evidence had melted, researchers said.

A report on the cause of the shock, released on Friday, concluded that the neutral conductor (photo) on a cable from an aerial photo - which supplied electricity to the property - melted after it was exposed to prolonged heating

A report on the cause of the shock, released on Friday, concluded that the neutral conductor (photo) on a cable from an aerial photo - which supplied electricity to the property - melted after it was exposed to prolonged heating

Advertisements

A report on the cause of the shock, released on Friday, concluded that the neutral conductor (photo) on a cable from an aerial photo – which supplied electricity to the property – melted after it was exposed to prolonged heating

The garden tap that was electrified before Denishar hit him and injured him

The garden tap that was electrified before Denishar hit him and injured him

The garden tap that was electrified before Denishar hit him and injured him

Denishar needs constant care after she has suffered serious brain damage from the electric shock

Denishar needs constant care after she has suffered serious brain damage from the electric shock

Denishar needs constant care after she has suffered serious brain damage from the electric shock

Advertisements

Neither can any conclusions be drawn as to whether the heating has been started on the air service side, which is owned by the grid manager Western Power, or on the side of the owner of the grid connection box mounted on the roof.

& # 39; It is disappointing – especially for the young girl and her family – that we cannot be more convincing because of the damaged state of the components, & # 39; said Saj Abdoolakhan, director of Energy Safety.

Shortly after the incident, Mike Bunko, director of Energy Safety, said it was probably caused by an open circuit neutral, which could be caused by corrosion, a loose connection and in some cases poor workmanship.

Western Power said on Friday & # 39; many factors over a longer period have contributed to the slow deterioration of the single-phase antenna connection & # 39 ;.

In a statement, Housing Minister Peter Tinley said the report had been as careful and thorough as possible.

Advertisements

& # 39; As a result of his findings, the state government has taken a series of initiatives to improve community security and to support Denishar and her family & # 39 ;, he said.

The state government has offered the family a $ 1 million payout, but Mother Lacey Harrison is seeking more for the substantial ongoing care of Denishar through civil action if an out-of-court settlement cannot be achieved.

Anyone who experiences shocks or tingling from luminaires in their home is urgently requested to report this immediately.

Anyone who experiences shocks or tingling from luminaires in their home is urgently requested to report this immediately

Anyone who experiences shocks or tingling from luminaires in their home is urgently requested to report this immediately

Anyone who experiences shocks or tingling from luminaires in their home is urgently requested to report this immediately

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) Perth