Facebook has denied that Donald Trump has been allowed back on its social networking site after rumors circulated that the former president’s ban had been lifted.
After the storming of the US Capitol on January 6, Trump was banned from many social media sites.
A number of conservative commentators mistakenly believed he had been reinstated on Instagram and Facebook on Wednesday after noting that his pages were visible, unlike his Twitter account.
Facebook has denied admitting Donald Trump back onto its platform after rumors circulated that the former president’s ban had been lifted
Facebook’s policy communications director Andy Stone responded to the rumors on Twitter, where he denied Trump’s reinstatement
But even if the pages are visible to the public, they’re still frozen to Trump, meaning he can’t post to them.
His last post on Facebook remains his last on January 6, in which he said, “I ask everyone in the Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence!
“Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our wonderful men and women in Blue. Thank you!’
His previous posts are now inundated with messages from supporters who welcome him to the social media site despite his continued censorship.
Facebook’s policy communications director Andy Stone responded to the rumors on Twitter, where he denied Trump’s reinstatement.
On Instagram, Trump’s last post in January is now inundated with comments welcoming him to the site
The president’s most recent post on Facebook, asking for peaceful protesters in the Capitol, has also received fresh comments falsely believing Trump had returned.
He said: “Nothing has changed in the status of President Trump’s presence on our platform. He will be suspended indefinitely.’
It comes like Trump permanently shut down the website he used to circumvent his social media ban and where he posted his statements after just 29 days.
“From the Desk of Donald J. Trump” has been removed from the former president’s website and instead the URL redirects users to a page to sign up for his email and text alerts.
A Trump Adviser told The Washington Post that Trump shut it down because he didn’t like the site being mocked and failed to garner a large readership.
Senior Trump Assistant Jason Miller told CNBC that the site ‘will not return’.
“It was just an addition to the broader efforts that we have and are working on,” he added.
Trump was banned from Facebook by Mark Zuckerberg (left) and Twitter by Jack Dorsey (right) after his posts during the January 6 storming of the Capitol.
The site was founded amid the former president being banned from social media sites, but faced criticism from those who claimed it was a sad excuse for an alternative to these other platforms.
A GOP strategist predicted on Twitter that it would be shut down as “a harbinger for him to join another social media platform?”
‘Well actually yes. Stay tuned!’ Miller confirmed this in a response to the post.
Trump promised after booting from his accounts that he would set up his own social media site, which he says is different from the “desk” blog.
Miller claimed he “hopes to have more information soon about the wider efforts” related to the new social media site.
“I don’t have a precise sense of timing,” he said.
Trump used “From Donald J. Trump’s Office” to post all of his statements after being booted from social media such as Facebook and Twitter following the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, for which he was eventually impeached for “inciting an insurrection”
The URL for the ‘desk’ site now redirects users to a page where they can sign up to receive text and email alerts from the former president
Trump unveiled his new blog last month, billed as a “communication platform” for the former president to communicate more directly with supporters and the public after he lost his access to other platforms.
A Twitter account set up to literally repost those statements was immediately shut down by CEO Jack Dorsey.
However, the ‘desk’ site also gave visitors the opportunity to easily share the statements for themselves on social media platforms.
Because of Trump’s posts to a new social media platform, many felt that this new website was him revealing that.
A GOP strategist predicted the site’s shutdown is a teaser for the former president “joining another social media platform,” to which Miller confirmed, “Yeah, actually it is. Stay tuned!’
However, he and his team argued against this, claiming it was simply a way to pump out his statements, which were also sent via the email account of his Save America political action committee.
Miller said in his own Twitter post at the time that the “Desk” page was “a great resource” for finding Trump’s statements.
He clarified ‘this is not a new social media platform.’