What a farce! Kieran Trippier’s spell ends in February, despite the fact that he is still playing! The Atletico defender will NOT be allowed to miss any more matches as FIFA rules that his 10-week suspension for betting violations will end on February 28, regardless of the objection
- Kieran Trippier was banned from the FA for 10 weeks for breaking the betting rules
- He served less than two weeks before Atlético appealed and FIFA lifted the ban
- FA tried to extend the end of the ban but failed, meaning it will end on February 28th
- That means that Trippier could reach the end of his spell without missing another match
The FA have failed in their efforts to extend the end of Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Trippier’s gambling ban, meaning he could get to the end of his suspension without missing any more games.
Trippier served less than two weeks of the 10-week ban when FIFA halted the worldwide extension of his sentence following an appeal from Atletico.
The sanction was imposed because Trippier had given information to friends about his transfer from Tottenham to the Spanish capital in 2019, which he knew they were using for betting. The ban will run until February 28.
Kieran Trippier’s 10-week ban for betting rules violation expires on the last day of February
The FA’s bid to extend his ban has been rejected and he should not miss any more Atletico games
The FA asked its own independent regulatory committee to review the dates of the suspension until FIFA decided whether the suspension should apply outside England.
But the FA said on Thursday that the appeal had been dismissed, meaning the penalty will end on February 28, even if the FIFA part of the case is still ongoing and Trippier will not miss any more games.
The FA committee concluded that Trippier had the right to think that “ this lengthy procedure was completed and that he could start a new chapter from the end of February 2021, ” and that changing the dates of the suspension would create uncertainty for the player. .
The decision also means that if Trippier were to return to play in England in the transfer window that runs until February 1, the ban is considered to be still in effect since December 21.
FIFA has lifted the ban in Spain pending their investigation, much to the FA’s frustration
Trippier can therefore continue to play while the spell is nearing its end
Hence, any move to England – and more specifically Manchester United – now seems extremely unlikely as he would be ruled out for the first month.
‘We accept that the suspension is likely to have an adverse effect on [Trippier’s] outlook, ”the FA said.
‘There is a very real benefit to football worldwide,’ said the FA committee, ‘by deciding as soon as possible whether it is open for clubs to intervene [Atletico Madrid] in this case without the consent of the player and, indeed, against his will, when such an intervention could be considered a frustration to the outcome of national disciplinary proceedings and FIFA’s ability to implement those outcomes worldwide . ‘
The decision does mean that it is unlikely that Trippier will return to England in January