Bruce Springsteen has been forced to cancel a series of shows to prevent “something worse” from happening to his health after a series of recent medical problems began to “take a toll”.
The Born to Run rocker, 73, was scheduled to perform eight dates across the US in September, but he cut them all short to undergo treatment for “peptic ulcer symptoms”.
The announcement came just days after COVID forced him to postpone two concerts in Philadelphia.
Now, a source close to Springsteen has revealed how his wife Patti Scialfa, his doctors and his E Street bandmates have stepped in to urge him to delay his concerts and focus on his recovery, fearing his health is “deteriorating » if he did. I don’t take the time to recover.
“Bruce has had a rough few years,” a source told Dailymail.com exclusively. “He’s had COVID multiple times and even had to shut down shows in August due to the latest strain.
In solidarity: Bruce Springsteen is under orders from his wife Patti, pictured together on Broadway in 2018, to rest after battling symptoms of peptic ulcer disease.
Heartbroken: Springsteen, pictured on stage in July, ordered to rest after series of health problems
The rocker (seen with his wife Patti) is said to be heartbroken at not being able to “do what he loves”.
“It was only a few weeks ago and it really takes a toll on someone his age.”
The source added that the Boss “hasn’t been the same” since he underwent throat surgery in 2013, during which doctors cut open his vocal cords to repair damaged discs in his neck.
“It really took a toll on his overall well-being,” the source continued. “Everyone wants him to just focus on his health and not push himself.”
According to our source, Springsteen is heartbroken to have to postpone his concerts. However, his camp believes it is the best decision to help him avoid having to undergo more serious treatment in the future.
“Bruce hates not being able to do what he loves,” they continued. “Even if an ulcer doesn’t seem serious, it can be serious and require surgery.”
Another source added to DailyMail.com that Springsteen was frustrated by the cancellations, but that his symptoms made performing “very uncomfortable.”
“Bruce doesn’t die which is the best case scenario, he doesn’t hide from other lingering issues, the ulcers he has are just kicking his ass and making it very uncomfortable for him and his fans expect it,” they said.
“Bruce is in incredible shape and with this setback it really sucks because once Bruce is on tour he puts his all into it.
“It’s who he is, so this bump in the road completely frustrates him, but his stubborn nature was nurtured by his bandmates and his wife who convinced him to be healthy now so that something worse doesn’t happen later.’
They added that the veteran rocker would be “back before you know it” after having a “stress-free few weeks and rest.”
Born to perform: The Boss, photographed on stage in his heyday in 1980, struggles to perform his long, energetic sets
Last May, the rocker caused concern among fans when he fell on stage during a concert in Amsterdam.
Fans saw Springsteen roll onto his back and lie on the ground with his guitar still in hand before his worried colleagues rushed to help him.
They finished: “He needs to listen to his doctors about the demanding work ethic he imposes on himself and he actually does and will give 120 percent to the rest of his shows.”
DailyMail.com has contacted a Springsteen spokesperson for comment.
Springsteen announced the news on Instagram on Wednesday, telling fans that he had been heartbroken during his latest bout of ill health.
“Here on E Street we are heartbroken to have to postpone these shows,” the post read. “First, my apologies to our fabulous Philly fans who we missed a few weeks ago. We will be back to resume these shows and more.
‘Thank you for your understanding and support. We had a great time at our concerts in the United States and look forward to more great times. We will be back soon. Love and God bless you all, Bruce.
A separate note confirmed that his planned performance at the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, New York, had been canceled and added: “Mr. Springsteen is being treated for symptoms of peptic ulcer disease and the decision of his medical advisors is that he would have to postpone the rest of his September shows.
Springsteen, whose hits include Born to Run and Dancing in the Dark, has now postponed a total of 15 dates as part of his Springsteen and E Street Band 2023 tour – which made headlines in May when the rocker fell on stage during a concert. performance in Amsterdam, causing concern among spectators and workers who rushed to help him up.
The I’m On Fire singer had fans gasping as he tripped and fell after climbing several steps on stage.
Fans saw Springsteen roll onto his back and lie on the ground with his guitar still in hand before his worried colleagues quickly rushed to help him. His guitarist intervened to remove his instrument while two concert performers manually lifted Bruce to his feet.
Statement: The music icon, 73, announced that he will be taking a break from touring as he undergoes treatment for “symptoms of peptic ulcer disease.”
Health problems: in August, he postponed two concerts in Philadelphia, after “falling ill”
Fortunately, the fall didn’t shake Bruce up too much and he quickly smiled before addressing the audience.
‘Good night everybody!’ he roared into the mic while throwing his hand in the air and starting another song.
The rocker’s latest health issues come nearly seven years to the day after he opened up about his struggles with depression in his tell-all 2016 autobiography, Born to Run.
In his memoir, Springsteen explored his history with mental illness and his father’s battle with it. In an interview with Vanity Fair at the time, he shared his fears of succumbing to the disease in the same way his father did.
“You don’t know the parameters of the disease,” he told the magazine. “Can I get sick enough that I’ll be a lot more like my father than I thought?” »
The interview then quoted paragraphs from Springsteen’s memoir, revealing how much the disease had impacted his life in recent years.
“I was crushed between 60 and 62, good for a year and left again at 63 to 64,” he wrote. “It’s not a good record.”
And while his struggles may not have been noticed on the outside, the star writes in his book how his wife, Patti Scialfa, would see him at his worst.
“Patti will watch a freight train come crashing down, loaded with nitroglycerin and quickly derail…she takes me to the doctors and says, ‘This man needs a pill,'” he wrote.