Ex-cons will be prosecuted by FBI for robbing 13 people at gunpoint in 3 NYC boroughs in 2 hours

Two ex-convicts charged with robbing 13 people at gunpoint in three New York City boroughs during a wild two-hour crime spree will be prosecuted by federal authorities, police said Wednesday.

Alvin Velez, 34, and Carlos Perez, 24, were detained by US Marshals early Wednesday and will appear in Manhattan Federal Court.

Police said it is unlikely the duo will be released on bail – like Perez boasted he would be when he was arrested Tuesday morning.

“I’ll be out on bail in 24 hours,” Perez promised as he was handcuffed and put in a police car, Fox 5 News reported.

The duo’s crime spree began in Queens just before 1 a.m. Tuesday when they drove a white Toyota minivan and robbed two women on Alstyne Ave. near 104th St. in Corona, getting away with two cell phones and a necklace, police said.

A short time later, the duo turned up at the Woodside Motel on Queens Blvd. near 65th St., where they robbed two people of their money and cell phones, police said.

The crooks then drove to Brooklyn, where they apprehended a man at N. 11th St. and Wythe Ave. at 1:45 a.m. and Broadway in Jackson Heights about 20 minutes later, police said.

Their last two robberies were in Manhattan, where they robbed a worker in a food truck outside Washington Square Park at 2:40 a.m. and then robbed a bag of personal belongings belonging to a woman on Seaman Ave. and W. 204th St. in Inwood at 3:10 a.m., police said.

None of the robbery victims were injured.

Police quickly launched a manhunt, and around 4 a.m., officers in an NYPD helicopter spotted the minivan in the Bronx, where it had crashed near Cedar Ave. and W. 179th St. in University Heights. The weapon used in the robberies was found in the glove compartment, police said.

Velez was arrested at the scene of the accident, and Perez was apprehended after police chased him into a Sedgwick Ave. building a few blocks away.

The daily news flash


Read the top five of the day every weekday afternoon.

Investigators believe the duo were robbing anyone they could find on the street for quick cash and valuables and were planning to continue their spree in the Bronx when they crashed, police said.

Charges against the men, both from Manhattan, are pending.

“Nothing happened. I didn’t do it,” Perez yelled at reporters as he walked out of the 110th Precinct police station in Corona late Tuesday. “Did you hear? Did you hear? I’m innocent.”

Velez said twice that he is also innocent.

Both men have multiple arrests and were recently arrested on drug charges, police said.

Velez was paroled in November 2021 after serving seven years in state prison for attempted murder in Manhattan, records show. Before that, he was paroled in February 2013 after serving more than a year for a gun conviction, also in Manhattan.

Perez was released on parole in October 2020, according to records, after serving more than a year for the Bronx guns conviction.

Show More


The author of what' is dedicated to keeping you up-to-date on the latest news and information.

Related Articles

Back to top button