Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin withdraws from England squad for World Cup qualifiers due to injury
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin suffered a thigh injury against Brighton on Saturday
- He will not participate in England’s three upcoming World Cup qualifiers
- The Three Lions take on Hungary, Andorra and Poland in eight days
Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin has withdrawn from England’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers in September due to an injury.
The 24-year-old suffered a thigh injury during Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League win in Brighton and will remain at Finch Farm to be assessed by the Toffees’ medical staff, while Gareth Southgate’s 24-man national team will continue their work. preparations begins in St George’s Park.
Calvert-Lewin, who scored his third goal of the campaign at Amex Stadium, has 11 caps for England and four international goals.
Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin has withdrawn from England squad
The upcoming triple header will bring England’s two toughest matches in Group I.
The Three Lions head to Budapest on Thursday to take on Hungary and take on Poland in Warsaw after what is expected to be a Wembley cakewalk against the whitefish Andorra.
Southgate said he would “always pick the bulk of the squad from the summer” given their performance at the European Championship and the importance of these matches, meaning there weren’t many major changes when the group was announced last week.
The 24-year-old suffered a thigh injury during Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League win in Brighton
Marcus Rashford and Phil Foden missed through injury, while Southgate said Ben White and Ben Chilwell were effectively ruled out due to their disrupted start to the season.
Trent Alexander-Arnold, Nick Pope and Jesse Lingard were handed recalls to a team that saw Patrick Bamford receive his first senior call-up.
The most surprising omission from the 25-man squad was Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood, who Southgate said was “on our minds” after his good start to the season.