The son of a homeowner in a suburb of Essex has enraged neighbors after allegedly advertising a cottage garden as an illegal tip.
About six feet of trash has piled up in the front yard of the 120-year-old building in Upminster – and the trash has been set on fire on several occasions.
The tip, including mattresses, pallets, furniture and bags filled with waste, was deposited in front of the semi-detached house.
Growing piles of trash have completely filled the front yard of a house in Upminster, Essex, and aerial shots showed the trash reached the back of the house.
In the front yard of a building in Upminster, Essex, a huge pile of rubbish has been dumped over the past eight weeks.
The 120-year-old property has reportedly been advertised as an illegal tip by the homeowner’s son and the pile has even started to fall on the road
According to The sun, residents have contacted local authorities, including the police and the municipality, to try and dispose of the waste, but it remains there.
The son claims the garbage was built up after a family member died and assured it would be cleaned up.
To make matters worse, the wind often blows pieces of loose waste through their gardens and onto the street.
The problem, residents say, has been going on for eight weeks, with the homeowner reportedly setting the tip on fire regularly – creating flames as high as the house and warm enough to damage the building.
Neighbor Ken Lees, 76, who has lived in the row of 120-year-old cottages for over 40 years, said: ‘He and his dad did it in a small way – picking up others’ trash – what a pain in the butt.
‘The father passed away and he doesn’t have a driver’s license, the father used to drive, so what he does is his friends clean up the trash, dispose of the trash and it’s gotten out of hand.
The illegal tip, including mattresses, pallets, furniture and bags filled with waste, has been dumped in front of the semi-detached house
The problem, residents say, has been going on for eight weeks, with the homeowner reportedly regularly setting fire to tip
“He’s got a job now, so they can’t be around when he’s not around.
‘Yesterday I spent an hour here cleaning up the rubbish because when the wind blows it spreads over the road and the garden.
‘There is rubbish all over Street. At some point we’ll have to pay to clear that up.
The retired owner of the fencing company added: “We had between six and ten visits from the fire brigade to put out fires that were happening every day at one point or another. Nobody seems to be doing anything about it.
“We’ve had fires so big that they go above the house, where it’s so hot it damaged its wall.
‘They do it with impunity. It’s crazy, absolutely crazy. ‘
The fire brigade would have visited the building several times because of fires in the front yard.
Ward Council members reported the matter to the Havering Council and received the following response: ‘The property came to the attention of the Council a few weeks ago after receiving complaints that the owner was burning large amounts of trash in the front yard.
The fire brigade would have visited the building several times because of fires in the front yard
An investigation revealed that a family member of the owner of the property was promoting the delivery of rubbish at the address so that he could dispose of it.
‘We know that the fire brigade (LFB) has visited several times. Environmental enforcement officers filed a community protection notice (warning) and proceeded to a community protection notice.
‘Officers have been in regular contact with the fire brigade, the environmental service and the person concerned.
We are now aware that the owner of the property has sadly passed away and are now dealing with the Executor about cleaning up the waste as a priority.
‘In the meantime, the waste will unfortunately remain on site and will be checked by the environmental enforcers of the Council in collaboration with the LFB.’
Damian White, the council’s leader, said the council went to the site this week and cleaned up the waste after it hit the road.
The municipality and the home owner were not available for comment today.