- The Man United manager did not want to discuss Jadon Sancho’s future
- Sancho is currently banned from the first team as his position is unclear
- Mail Sport’s new WhatsApp channel: receive the latest news and exclusive offers here
Erik ten Hag has refused to discuss Jadon Sancho’s future at Manchester United, insisting he will never talk about players ‘not available’.
The United boss was unimpressed in his post-match TV interview when asked about the exiled England winger after a 3-0 Carabao Cup win over Crystal Palace, before being asked again at his press conference.
It was put to Ten Hag that a report in Germany claimed that excessive gaming sessions on his Xbox, resulting in limited sleep, were damaging Sancho’s career.
When asked if he was aware of Sancho’s playing habits, Ten Hag quickly shut down all questions about Sancho.
“I don’t talk about personal issues and I don’t talk about players who are not available,” he said quickly before ending his press conference.
Erik ten Hag was not tempted to make a comment about the future of Jadon Sancho
Sancho is currently training with United’s youth team and has been banned from the first-team facilities
Your browser does not support iframes.
Ten Hag was asked after the match whether Sancho had deactivated his Instagram account and whether that was the first step towards mending their relationship.
“I don’t know, it’s up to him,” he said. ‘I don’t comment on players who are not available.’
Sancho is currently kept away from the first team as he continues his standoff with Ten Hag, amid his refusal to apologize for his public comments against his manager.
The £73million winger was banned from United training after claiming on social media that he had been a ‘scapegoat’ and effectively called Ten Hag a liar after the defeat at Arsenal.
Sancho, who joined from Borussia Dortmund in 2021, has made just three sub-appearances for United this season but has not been part of the squad since his outburst.
With no solution in sight, Ten Hag becomes increasingly frustrated as he is questioned about the player he is not thinking about.
The 23-year-old has managed just 12 goals and six assists in 82 appearances for United, leaving his future at the club in serious doubt ahead of the January transfer window.
Sancho is yet to apologize to Ten Hag after railing against the United boss in a social media post
Former Manchester United captain Steve Bruce on Tuesday urged Sancho to put aside any pride and save his career at Old Trafford by apologizing.
“The only way this can be resolved is if he goes in and apologizes to the manager and teammates,” Bruce told Sky Sports.
‘He can’t go on social media and criticize the coach, he is the boss and makes the decisions, there has to be a bit of respect with that.
“I encourage him to go in, knock on the door and see if they can figure it out together.”