England’s Test stars will sit out the climax of the first hundred league because of the India series
England’s test stars will sit out the climax of the inaugural Hundred competition as the ECB tries to mitigate coronavirus risks to India’s multimillion-pound run
- Format Hundred opened its doors for the first time on Wednesday evening
- The brand new tournament will run across the country from July 21 to August 21
- English test players will not be selected for the semi-finals and finals this year
- Joe Root’s side faces India in August, so ECB wants to mitigate all Covid risks
The English Test players will not feature in the Hundred semi-finals and finals as the ECB seeks to reduce Covid risks for the multimillion-pound run against India.
Although ECB chief Tom Harrison said last week that the biosafe bubbles of the past would not be reformed amid concerns about the effects such living conditions have on players’ mental health, Sports post understands that a series of restrictive measures have been put in place to reduce the chances of Covid withdrawing from a five-match campaign worth £100m in home television revenue.
Among other things, they keep their A-listers separate from 100 environments once they have competed in the first two matches.
English Test players will not participate in the semi-finals or finals of The Hundred tournament
The inaugural edition of the new cricket format was launched at the Oval . on Wednesday evening
The original plan for the inaugural season – with the men’s competition kicking off on Thursday – was for the country’s centrally contracted cricketers to compete in three rounds of play and be available for the eliminator at the Kia Oval on Friday, August 20 and the final. at Lord’s 24 hours later.
Confirmation came on Wednesday of a cut from three to two and the end of the competition, an ECB spokesman said: “A decision will be made in due course.”
An eight-day period between the second and third Tests provides ample time for players to be involved in both the traditional format of the game and the fourth and newest game, and the governing body saw the presence of English stars in their 100-ball matches. contest. a side investment as crucial to project the sport to a new audience.
The England side of Joe Root has a multimillion-pound run against India starting next month
However, they seem to have been forced to rethink with the rising number of coronaviruses and the big run against Virat Kohli’s India not only being financially lucrative but also launching a new World Test Championship cycle.
Players have been advised to stay away from public areas as much as possible, avoid visiting restaurants and bars and even limit contact with teammates outside of playing hours during their England service later this summer.
Several regular team rooms in both hotels and grounds will be dumped and meetings will instead take place in open spaces.