England cricketers deny claims they were behind the ECB pulling out of next month’s Pakistan tour

England cricketers deny claims they were behind the ECB pulling out of next month’s Pakistan tour… and insist they weren’t even asked if they would travel

  • The England men would play two Twenty20 internationals in Rawalpindi
  • England women were scheduled to play in five matches during the trip to Pakistan
  • But the ECB has now confirmed that neither team will tour their next month
  • Union has refuted claims that their players were behind the decision


<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

The England Cricketers Association has refuted claims that their players were behind the ECB withdrawing from next month’s Pakistan tour, claiming it was not even asked if they would travel.

Team England Player Partnership (TEPP) say they have been left in the dark by the ECB following New Zealand’s decision to leave Pakistan last Friday following a security warning minutes before their opening game in Rawalpindi.

Sportsmail understands that the ECB board met on Sunday and that the players were informed of the decision to cancel the tour that same afternoon.

England have withdrawn from next month's Pakistan tour, but the England Cricketers Association has refuted claims their players were behind the decision

England have withdrawn from next month’s Pakistan tour, but the England Cricketers Association has refuted claims their players were behind the decision

It was reported that intervention by the TEPP halted the tour’s passage, but in a forceful rebuttal a spokesman told Sportsmail: “At no stage did the ECB ask Team England Player Partnership or the teams, men and women, whether the tour should continue or whether players were willing to tour Pakistan.

“Team England Player Partnership never informed the ECB that the players would not tour.

The union has said the players were not even asked if they wanted to travel to Pakistan

The union has said the players were not even asked if they wanted to travel to Pakistan

The union has said the players were not even asked if they wanted to travel to Pakistan

The drastic decision comes after New Zealand's hasty departure last week for security reasons

The drastic decision comes after New Zealand's hasty departure last week for security reasons

The drastic decision comes after New Zealand’s hasty departure last week for security reasons

The ECB board met last Sunday to discuss the trip to Pakistan. That afternoon we were informed that the tour had been cancelled. Team England Player Partnership was not asked for our input and we were not involved in the decision to cancel the tour.”

There is still confusion among the union over the ECB’s subsequent statement, which exposed players to criticism, saying that one of the reasons for the cancellation was to protect the squad’s “physical and mental well-being”.

This follows a Pakistan tour of England in the summer of 2020 to play three Tests and three Twenty20s before there was yet a Covid vaccine.

Advertisement

.