Employees only found out they were unemployed when George Calombaris published a public post on Instagram
George Calombaris’ last insult to his staff: workers only found out they were unemployed when MasterChef posted star on Instagram – while furious union boss begs him about “shamelessly stealing” wages
- Employees employed by the restaurant empire only learned news on social media
- Twelve locations in Melbourne closed this week when the company went into administration
- A staff member said they had been told ‘nothing’ prior to the public position
- ACTU boss also threw chef because he was unwilling to do “honest, legal” business
- Administrators now hope to find potential buyers for affected restaurants
Employees employed by George Calombaris’ doomed restaurant empire only discovered that they had lost their jobs when he reported about the collapse on Instagram.
Twelve locations in Melbourne closed their doors this week after the famous chef’s MADE establishment was placed in voluntary administration on Monday, leaving around 400 employees in the dark.
He continues to be under fire this week following the announcement – the height of months of research for the company after it emerged last year that staff had paid $ 7.8 million.
Scroll down for video
George Calombaris came under fire after employees of his doomed restaurant empire came to the fore and only found out they had lost their job when he reported about the collapse on Instagram
The famous chef is pictured with wife Natalie Tricarico in 2017
Speaking through the United Workers Union, an anonymous staff member said they were furious that they had not been told about the collapse for the Instagram post of Calombaris.
“We had to learn that the company went into administration through George’s post on Instagram,” the employee said.
“I’m very angry about what happened. We were not told anything. ”
The employee also claimed that while wages and pension rights were paid until Sunday, the annual leave was still outstanding.
“Maybe I should go home if I can’t keep this job,” the anonymous employee in Australia said with a temporary visa.
ACTU president Michele O’Neil meanwhile accused Calombaris of “shameless” behavior.
According to Calombaris, “he stole $ 8 million from the people doing the hard work in his restaurants,” O’Neil accused him in a Facebook video on Wednesday of “the poster boy for employers campaigning to reduce fines for employees “.
Twelve locations in Melbourne closed their doors this week when the famous chef announced that MAdE Establishment was placed in voluntary administration on Monday
“So now more than 400 jobs are at stake because George wasn’t willing to run a fair legal business where he paid employees what they were entitled to,” she said.
“But do you think something happened to George?” Is he disqualified, is he deregistered? No, we have no law for that. ”
Managers Craig Shepard and Leanne Chesser hope to quickly find buyers for the companies, so that some employees can keep their jobs with new operators.
“We could have them ready by Monday,” Mr. Shepard told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Declining patronage and an inability to turn the company forced Calombaris to close its Made Establishment Group.
The decision came after it emerged last year that staff returned $ 7.8 million in wages and superannuation in 2017.
The closed restaurant Hellenic Republic was shown Tuesday in Brunswick. ACTU President Michele O’Neil accused Calombaris of ‘shameless’ behavior about his dealings with MAdE site
Employees have received outstanding wages and superannuation up to and including Sunday, the managers are told.
But the KordaMentha administrators will have to verify that claim after reports have emerged that some employees have not paid their annual vacation.
If the company cannot repay those rights through reclaimed funds, employees may be forced to request what they owe through a Fair Work guarantee scheme.
Oanh Tran, head of the legal center of the Victorian Trades Hall Council, said MAdE employees with temporary migrant visas may be forced to leave Australia.
“There will be at least some, and probably many, in that really vulnerable position.”
KordaMentha and the trade unions do not know how many employees are on those visas, but the United Workers Union, which includes hospitality workers, says that at least one has been approached anonymously.
Timeline of the misery of Calombaris
MAY 15, 2014 – The Ministry of Health is investigating after diners who ate in the Hellenic Republic in Kew became ill. It was later confirmed that the norovirus affected around 100 people
APRIL, 2017 – It has been announced that approximately $ 2.6 million in arrears has been paid to 162 employees employed by Made Establishment due to pay discrepancies that went back to 2011.
10 MAY 2017 – Calombaris is accused of mistreatment over a 19-year-old fight in a grand A-League final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory in Sydney a few days earlier
MAY 16, 2017 – Melbourne man David Peter Schreuder sues the restaurant Hellenic Republic and Made Establishment for the outbreak of norovirus encephalitis
AUGUST 17, 2017 – The chief pleads guilty of the attack on the A-League incident
SEPTEMBER 8, 2017 – He delivers his Melbourne Victory No. 1-ticket because of the attack
20 OCTOBER 2017 – Calombaris is fined $ 1000 for the A-League attack
FEBRUARY 1, 2018 – His attack conviction is overturned on appeal after a district law judge agreed with Calombaris’ lawyer that he had suffered significant financial and personal loss and probably would not insult again
JULY 18, 2019 – The Fair Work Ombudsman fined the MasterChef Australia judge and his Made Establishment company $ 200,000 for underpaying staff in his restaurants with nearly $ 8 million
JULY 22, 2019 – The West Australian government suspends its tourism campaign with Calombaris on the Fair Work Obudsman fine
JULY 23, 2019 – Calombaris and fellow judges Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan leave MasterChef after contract negotiations fail
FEBRUARY 10, 2020 – Made falls into voluntary administration