Eddie Hearn’s confident date and location for Joshua vs. Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week
Eddie Hearn is confident that a date and location for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week, but the Gypsy King’s father, John, sends a video message to the promoter telling him to ‘hang up’ AJ or shut up ‘and AJ like a’ warm-up match ‘
- Eddie Hearn says a date and venue for AJ v Tyson Fury will be set next week
- The promoter has been on a world tour to find a site for the £ 200 million showdown
- The Middle East remains in the lead, while the US and Asia are opportunities
- Hearn does not rule out Wembley, but said it is very unlikely at this point
Eddie Hearn is confident that a date and location for the Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury showdown will be confirmed by the end of next week this summer.
The Matchroom promoter remained closed on the details of where July’s undisputed heavyweight title fight could land, but he said, “I think it will be at the end of next week.”
However, the Gypsy King’s father has hit back on Hearn and told the promoter to either finish the contest or stop talking about it, saying ‘hang up or shut up’.
Eddie Hearn says a date and venue for Joshua v Fury should be confirmed by the end of next week
Joshua (left) and Fury (right) will come together this summer for the undisputed heavyweight crown
Joshua-Fury took a step closer last month, when both sides signed contracts covering the intricacies of a two-fight deal.
That sparked a gold rush to find a location that could help fund the £ 200 million collision amidst the uncertainty of Covid-19.
Hearn has embarked on a ‘world tour’ to round out offers, with the Middle East still being the most likely destination due to its ability to afford the highest site fees.
Eddie Hearn has embarked on a world tour in an attempt to find a site for the summer showdown
Operators in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Dubai have all held talks with Hearn, while there is also interest from Singapore, China and the US. Wembley Stadium remains an external opportunity.
“The world tour is going well, but I’m not answering any questions about that and I won’t tell you where I’ve been,” Hearn said Friday.
But the talks are extremely well advanced and we are getting closer to securing the site and there will be an announcement in due course. We are at the stage where it is probably best not to say much more than that. ‘
Tyson’s father, John, later responded to Hearn on Friday with a video message on his personal Instagram account.
He made it clear that his son is not afraid of Joshua and will welcome an undisputed title fight against him this summer.
However, he attacked Hearn and told him to settle the deal.
John Fury posted an Instagram video telling Hearn to get the fight in order in June
He said, ‘We don’t care one iota about Anthony Joshua and here’s what you can do.
“If he wants to fight in June, get it ready for June, Eddie. We think of him as a warm-up fight, him.
We appreciate Anthony Joshua so much that we will consider him a warm-up fight in June.
“So put your ass in gear, do whatever needs to be done and we’ll take it in June.
Because Tyson fights twice this year, but we’d like AJ to be first in the butcher block.
So grab your a *** in gear, swing your magic wand and let’s get this fight started because no one cares about you or AJ in any way, shape or form.
“And if you can’t keep it up, shut up – then do that.”
Hearn and Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum gave himself a three-week deadline to overcome this final – but significant hurdles.
The Middle East remains in the lead, while Wembley has a slim chance of hosting
Hearn said, “We always had a timetable in the agreement that everyone signed. That can be extended, but the intention is not to expand it and we are all working on that time frame … we can’t wait.
‘AJ has started his training camp and Fury has trained very hard. They all want the fight. They will be given a few suggestions on where to fight and everyone should agree on where to do it. There is no other fight that comes close to either boy. July is the date. ‘
The successful roll-out of vaccinations in this country means that the door remains ajar for the all-British battle to be staged in the UK. But it remains highly unlikely, with Hearn adding: ‘Wembley is not out of the running, but after speaking to them they must be in a situation where they need full capacity and their first job is trying that for to get the euro. If we can be sure it can spark some discussion, but I don’t think so. ‘