Eddie Hearn flies a global hunt for a location for Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury’s mega-fight with the Middle East, the early favorite, as the promoter sets a three-week deadline to wrap up the undisputed showdown
- Eddie Hearn will embark on a world tour for the Joshua vs Fury venue this week
- The heavyweight rivals signed contracts for the two-fight deal earlier this month
- Hearn and promoter Bob Arum have set a three-week deadline for the search
Eddie Hearn embarks on a world tour this week to find a site for the showdown between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
The heavyweight rivals signed contracts for the two-fight deal earlier this month, but the question of where and when remains a major hurdle.
The Middle East remains the most likely destination for its ability to afford the most lucrative site fees, with operators in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Dubai all in talks with Hearn. There is also interest from Singapore, China, USA and a marginal opportunity from Wembley Stadium.
Eddie Hearn is going on a world tour this week to find a site for Fury vs Joshua
The British heavyweight rivals signed contracts for the two-fight deal earlier this month
Hearn and Fury’s promoter, Bob Arum, has set a three-week deadline for the search, and attempts to pinpoint the details of a June or July fight will intensify over the next week, with the Matchroom boss a series of six meetings in four countries in six starts. days from Sunday.
He said, ‘I’m going to the Middle East, the Far East and America to meet people. About six meetings in four countries.
“June and July are very hot in the Middle East, so most people prefer it a little later. But that’s not what’s on the table.
The Middle East remains the most likely destination due to its ability to afford lucrative fees
“We want two fights this year and the first will be in the summer. Both the fights and the promoters have signed. We now have three weeks to find a location and set a date and we’re good to go.
Both June and July play a part, but the Saudis and the Middle East would rather fight later in the year because it is so hot there. But the fight takes place in the summer. ‘
There is some skepticism within boxing as to whether the fight will take place in the scheduled time frame, and indeed about the level of site fees in the current climate. It remains to be seen if every man’s fight purse will reach the claimed level of £ 100 million.
While a Wembley fight seems extremely unlikely due to the Covid restrictions, Hearn says talks are underway with the government, although that road depends on some way to get a full house of 100,000 fans by the summer.
Hearn said, ‘If Wembley can give us full capacity in the summer, it will come into play again.
‘We would take less money, but everyone would be happy to do it. The fighters would love to do it at Wembley, but they don’t want to take half the money, or a 30-40 percent discount.
‘There are some discussions going on with the government to see if that is possible. And if that is an option, it will also be presented to the fighters. ‘