Eddie Hearn insists there will be an announcement “next week” regarding the heavyweight showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury after Frank Warren said the Gypsy King received his contract for the mega fight.
- Bob Arum said the fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury was ‘dead in the water’
- However, Frank Warren has said that Fury has received his contract for the fight
- Eddie Hearn expects announcement about fight ‘next week’
Eddie Hearn has promised boxing fans that there will be an announcement ‘next week’ regarding Anthony Joshua’s proposed heavyweight one-piece fight with Tyson Fury.
The clash between the heavyweight champions appeared to be on the verge of collapse over the past week after Fury’s team expressed frustration with Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, who consistently failed to meet deadlines.
Bob Arum, the American promoter of Fury, said the unification fight was “ dead in the water ” and that the WBC champion would chase down other opponents, namely arch-rival Deontay Wilder.
Eddie Hearn says an announcement of Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury is expected ‘next week’
Eddie Hearn put down suggestions that a Fury vs Joshua match was ‘dead in the water’
Matchroom Boxing promoter Hearn has commented that he is confident that the match will continue, after Frank Warren also confirmed that Fury had received his contract for the superfight.
Hearn told Sky Sports Box Office: ‘You heard last night (Friday) from Frank Warren, who said, quite rightly, that we received the contract from the Middle East.
Lawyers from ‘all sides’ have to go through that and make sure they are happy with it.
‘But we are all going systems. This fight is on, this fight is on. As I told everyone last week, back and forth with the trip.
“I think you’ll get an announcement next week. I don’t know what else to tell you.
I saw Bob Arum’s comments, “The fight is dead.” I don’t know where that came from.
‘We know what we’re doing and that is now being recognized by the other side, which is nice.’
Warren, who is promoting Fury like Arum, revealed that the Gypsy King’s camp is forensically reviewing the details of the agreement in the contract they received.
“Something has come through from the other side,” Warren said SecondsOut. ‘A contract that we are all reviewing, a proposal.
“A proposal for a contract that we are reviewing. And of course we will look at it and hopefully we can agree on the terms. We all want that. ‘
Bob Arum said he expected Joshua and Fury to face different opponents this summer
Hearn added that he expected negotiations to move to the next stage on Sunday night before stating: ‘Right now, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are in the absolute prime of their careers.
“You get this fight next, and you get it for the undisputed world championship. We can’t get any faster. ‘
The updates from both Hearn and Warren are a boost after Arum was adamant that both fighters would face different opponents over the summer due to the complexities of organizing the fight in Saudi Arabia.
He said, ‘Fury-Joshua looks dead in the water. Tyson has been out of action for too long and has to fight this summer. Who else is he going to fight against Wilder? A third fight between them is huge in itself. ‘
Eddie [Hearn] has only one fight left with his Joshua contract and he’s desperate for this big one. Usyk is a good fight, but not as big as Tyson and AJ. But it doesn’t seem possible now for next year or even the year after. Like Tyson, Joshua has to fight fast. ‘