ECB rocked by new Twitter storm as another racist tweet is revealed following Ollie Robinson’s suspension

0

ECB rocked by new Twitter storm as another racist tweet by an unnamed England player is revealed… after Ollie Robinson was banned from international cricket over landmark posts

  • English cricket faces more unrest after another racist tweet was revealed
  • Wisden.com obscured the identity of a player who shared the racist post
  • The website did contain details of the post and that he was 15 at the time
  • Ollie Robinson was banned for historic racist and sexist tweets

English cricket is facing more turmoil after another racist tweet from an unnamed current player was revealed by a website.

Wisden.com chose to disguise the identity of the player, who was 15 at the time of the tweet, but did include details from the post, including “you’re dating an Asian” and three hashtags: “Asianthroughandthrough,” ‘hweolloo’ and ‘c****y’.

Sportsmail knows the identity of the cricketer, who appeared in Test matches this year, but has not named him as he was a minor at the time of the tweet. It was unclear on Tuesday whether the ECB would name him.

English cricket faces more turmoil after another racist tweet (see above) by an unnamed current player was revealed by a website

Ollie Robinson was banned from international cricket pending an investigation after historic racist and sexist tweets were unearthed last week

Ollie Robinson was banned from international cricket pending an investigation after historic racist and sexist tweets were unearthed last week

The revelation comes just five days after Ollie Robinson’s racist and sexist tweets were unearthed the day he made his test debut at Lord’s last week.

Robinson has now been banned from international cricket pending an investigation into the tweets. An ECB spokesman said: “It has been brought to our attention that an English player has posted historically offensive material on his social media account. We are looking into it and will make a further comment in due course.’

The discovery of another abusive tweet will infuriate ECB bosses, who unveiled their new anti-discrimination move last Wednesday on the first morning of the first Test against New Zealand at Lord’s.

Meanwhile, Michael Carberry has questioned Ollie Robinson’s future in cricket in light of the historic racist and sexist tweets that led to his suspension from the second Test against New Zealand.

Michael Carberry doubted Robinson's future in cricket after his suspension

Michael Carberry doubted Robinson’s future in cricket after his suspension

The former England batsman was biting in his criticism of Robinson and English cricket, saying he learned nothing from a year when the game was attacked with repeated accusations of institutionalized racism.

“I thought, ‘Here we go again,'” Carberry said when asked what his response was to the rise of tweets Robinson sent to him nine years ago when he was 18.

“It confirms what I said last year that the game has a huge problem. And until people start tackling the problem, it won’t go away.

“Good from the ECB for suspending Ollie Robinson, but I’d ask more questions. Why wasn’t this picked up years ago? Why has this man been allowed to come this far in his career and achieve what he has achieved at the highest level?’

Asked by Sky Sports News whether there should be a zero-tolerance policy and that Robinson, who made his England debut at Lord’s, will no longer be allowed to play cricket, Carberry said: ‘Absolutely. If he wants to rehabilitate, he has to do it on the sidelines.’

The former England batsman was biting in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB

The former England batsman was biting in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB

Robinson had previously received government support when Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden tweeted: “Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and wrong. They are also ten years old and written by a teenager. The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologized. The ECB has gone over the top by suspending him and should reconsider.”

But Carberry said, “I have no respect for Oliver Dowden’s comments because this is a guy who has never been discriminated against.”

England coach Chris Silverwood has refused to give any guarantees to Robinson, who has been threatened with further action from the ECB that he will play Test cricket again. Meanwhile, Sussex will decide on Tuesday whether Robinson will play in their first Twenty20 Blast games later this week.

Advertisement

.