ECB denies charges of ‘institutional racism’ after former referees John Holder and Ismail Dawood accuse the body of misrepresenting the withdrawal of discrimination claim… in the wake of Ollie Robinson’s historic racist and sexist tweets
- The ECB had to deny allegations of institutional racism Friday night
- Ex-umpires John Holder and Ismail Dawood made the claim against the body
- After mediation last week, both men say they will never work for the ECB again
- The ECB denied the allegations, but said they need to do more for inclusiveness
- The claims come after the ECB was shaken by old Ollie Robinson tweets
A controversial England and Wales Cricket Board was forced Friday night to deny being “institutionalized racist” after ex-umpires John Holder and Ismail Dawood accused them of misrepresenting their withdrawal of a discrimination claim.
With the ECB still reeling from the discovery of nine-year-old racist and sexist tweets by debutant fast bowler Ollie Robinson, the act couldn’t have come at a more damaging time.
The board said it learned on Thursday that the two men had “withdrawn their employment claims against the ECB without payment of damages or costs”. But Holder, who last served as an international umpire in 2001, said the decision was made on the basis of a “technical issue.”
ECB has strongly denied allegations of ‘institutional racism’ after new claims’
After a mediation meeting with the ECB last week, both men said they would never work for the organization again.
“Our case against the ECB has been successful on a legal technical level,” Holder told ESPNcricinfo, referring to the fact that contract termination cases must be brought within three months.
“I have not withdrawn any claim. The tone of the ECB’s statement would give the uninvolved reader the impression that we have accepted their version of events and are withdrawing. This is not the case at all. We remain convinced that the ECB is institutionally racist.
“After reading that statement, I knew I couldn’t work with these people anymore. There is no trust. They don’t want to learn from my experiences. They try to silence me and give the impression that things have been settled. That is misleading and unfair.’
Former umpires John Holder (left) and Ismail Dawood (right) made the claims against the body
The latest development comes at a bad time after Ollie Robinson’s old tweets were unearthed
Dawood said, ‘Tom Harrison [the ECB chief executive] speaks of zero tolerance for racism while courting the press, and yet the ECB has acknowledged that they have fallen below their own standards. Where is the accountability? It’s a word that doesn’t exist at the ECB.’
In a statement last night, the board replied: “We do not agree with the accusation that the ECB is institutionally racist, but we do recognize that the stories and insights shared by many within cricket over the past 12 months reflect that as a sport we need to do more to make sure everyone feels welcome.
“We are conducting an independent assessment of the service and are committed to acting on the findings to ensure the game is open and accessible.”
The third day of the first test against New Zealand at Lord’s was washed away, leaving England to resume this morning at 111 for two in response to 378.