Eat in a local Chinese restaurant or see how it is closed Australians insisted to put aside the angonavirus fears
Corona virus hysteria could lead to more Chinese restaurants around Australia unless diners return to their favorite local eateries.
Some companies report a 50 percent drop in customers due to unfounded fears about getting the deadly corona virus.
The impact on Chinese restaurants across the country – many forced to close their doors, including the long-standing Shark Fin House in the center of Melbourne – has triggered a social media campaign that encouraged Australians to grab and chop their chopsticks. to dig.
Activist group Getup has launched ‘I’ll eat with you’ to encourage people to return to their favorite places to eat.
The impact of hysteria on the corona virus on Chinese restaurants across the country has given rise to a social media campaign that encouraged Australians to grab their chopsticks
Activist group Getup has launched ‘I’ll eat with you’ to encourage people to return to their favorite places to eat
The group launched the campaign this week and encouraged people to take action and alleviate some of the effects of the disease on the Australian economy.
“While other restaurants and public areas are still vibrant, it is the Chinatown restaurants and Asian grocers that are empty. Panic about the virus has unfair consequences for Chinese and Asian communities, “the campaign reads.
“If we don’t take action, people will lose their jobs and their livelihood.”
Diners all over the country now show their solidarity with business owners and promise to support them after a few difficult months.
Diners all over the country now show their solidarity with business owners and promise to support them after a few difficult months
Susie Cole, the mother of Melbourne, promised her support for the Chinese community on Sunday in a message on Facebook.
‘Last week our family (mom, Josie, Mason & granddaughters Poppy & Daniella & I) ate at the Harmony (Chinese) restaurant and had no problems with coronavirus or anything else, but this week is the iconic Shark Fin restaurant in Little Bourke St closed after nearly 40 years and countless other family-run Chinese restaurants are at risk because people avoid them because of unfounded fears, “she wrote.
“Please continue to patronize the Chinese restaurants you love, visit the rural communities affected by fire and spend money, small businesses need customers to survive.”
Susie Cole, the mother of Melbourne, promised her support for the Chinese community on Sunday in a message on Facebook.
A social media campaign is intended to help companies in difficulty by getting diners back through the doors
Others were shocked to hear that people no longer went to restaurants because of the hysteria, but said it seemed that the fear was greatest in the Chinese community itself.
‘Intentionally eaten in a Chinese restaurant in St Kilda. There were no Asian customers, but quite a few non-Asians. I asked the young Chinese cashier if this was normal, she said no and she confessed that she had to be petrified to work there, “wrote the commentator.
“The wrong information among the Chinese community is a mystery, especially if it means that a number of restaurants will go bankrupt.”
Getup: “If we don’t take action, people will lose their jobs and their livelihood”
Chatswood, in the Lower North Shore in Sydney, and Eastwood in the northwest – which have large Chinese populations – suffer the most from the hysteria surrounding the disease, with some stores reporting that trade has fallen more than 70 percent since the outbreak. .
The only stores that seem to be making money amid health concerns are pharmacists selling face masks and hand cleansers.
Pharmacists and vitamin store owners said they were busier than ever. Some say that the demand for face masks has increased by 300 percent.
Michael Lam, owner of Star Capital Seafood Restaurant on Chatswood’s normally busy Victoria Avenue, has closed his restaurant after seven years.
Mr. Lam previously told Daily Mail Australia that he made the decision after weeks of poor sales and the Prime Minister’s move to ban non-citizens from flying to China from China.
“Things have become terrible, the place is usually full by 11.30 am and now we are lucky to have four or five people,” he told Daily Mail Australia.
“As soon as the prime minister said flights from China stopped, I decided to close.”
Star Capital Seafood Restaurant on Chatswood’s normally busy Victoria Avenue opened seven years ago, but owner Michael Lam has decided to close its doors forever
Star Capital Seafood Restaurant was closed earlier this month after seven years of business
Mr. Lam said he had already thought about retiring, but Mr. Morrison’s announcement led him to make a decision earlier.
“This week we sell lobsters for $ 88 per kilogram, but last week they were $ 130 per kilo,” the entrepreneur said.
“The locals don’t come out, so we can’t sell, it’s very, very bad.”
Universities, schools, student accommodation, hotels, restaurants, tour operators and airlines have been hit by a ban that can last longer than two weeks if the outbreak gets worse.
Education industry officials said the travel ban could cost their industry up to $ 8 billion in the worst case scenario alone.
Municipal authorities beg customers to return to the usually busy centers.
The Star Capital Seafood Restaurant is practically empty of dinners during a normally busy afternoon time on a weekday
Chatswood on Lower North Shore in Sydney has become a virtual ghost town with many residents wearing masks
An employee of Tim’s Barbeque Chatswood, who wanted to remain anonymous, agreed that things were not so good in the area
Chinese restaurants in Chatswood are almost empty because the suburb has become a ghost town
Staff at Chatswood BBQ Kitchen said the situation was terrible.
“There has been a big fall in the past week,” said employee Lee.
“The manager says he wants to cry – there are no issues and it’s bad … and I have noticed that there are fewer people around.”
An employee of Tim’s Barbeque Chatswood, who wanted to remain anonymous, agreed that the company had a blow.
“It’s very quiet in the area … things aren’t going so well.”
Just a few doors down at Chatswood BBQ Kitchen, the staff said it is the same (Manager, Raymond, pictured)
“The manager says he wants to cry – there are no issues and it’s bad … and I have noticed that there are fewer people around,” said employee Lee.
Although small retailers admit that their business has fallen, pharmacists and vitamin stores are busier than ever
It’s a similar story in Eastwood, where some store owners have reported a drop of more than 70 percent since the coronavirus outbreak.
Manager at Happigo Supermarket, Bobby, said the sales decrease was “very fast” and that things had been bad for almost two weeks.
“The Chinese community has become very quiet … there aren’t many people on the street,” he said.
“People are afraid of the corona virus.”
Manager at Happigo Supermarket, Bobby, said the sales decrease was “very fast” and that things were bad for a week and a half
Both areas usually thrive with a dense Chinese population, but the only stores that seem to be making money are chemists
An employee at J&T BBQ, who wanted to remain anonymous, also said that things have been bad for the past three weeks.
Owner of Nuzar Spicy Hot Pot, Jason, told Daily Mail Australia that he had only opened his store for a week and a half before the corona virus outbreak occurred.
“The fear is spreading faster than anything … my company was here for two weeks when it happened and my sales were just falling,” Jason said.
“My location is one of the best in the area, with the highest rent … I can’t afford to pay my staff now.”
Jason said on Sunday that he only made $ 200 profit and doesn’t think it will get any better in the coming weeks.
Ryde councilors are now launching an ‘Return to Eastwood’ emergency campaign to regenerate the area.
Owner of Nuzar Spicy Hot Pot, Jason, told Daily Mail Australia that he had only opened his store for a week and a half before the coronavirus outbreak occurred
Mayor Jerome Laxale and deputy mayor Simon Zhou have filed a motion to encourage local businesses to get owners back on track.
The “Eastwood Small Business Hardship” motion has called on the CEO to set up a $ 500,000 Small Business Hardship Fund to help Eastwood Town Center.
Part of the money goes to subsidized gift vouchers to restore the local economy.
Mr. Laxale said the main focus of the campaign was to inform people about the corona virus in the area to prevent misinformation from spreading.
“Eastwood is the target of false information. The fact is that Eastwood is safe and we want to inform the public and know the right facts, “he told the Northern District Times.
“It has been a ghost town for the last three weeks and it is an incorrect perception of Eastwood. It is not good for local businesses and local employees.
“People stay away from Eastwood and there is nothing to say that Eastwood is not safe. I call on local MP Victor Dominello and the prime minister to do the same. “
There are 14 confirmed coronavirus cases in Australia, and more than 24,000 cases and more than 490 deaths worldwide.
The cases have taken place in NSW, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia.
Ryde councilors are now launching an ‘Return to Eastwood’ emergency campaign to regenerate the area
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their 60s who arrived in Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives have been confirmed to have a corona virus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- From 15 February, 47 Australians are among 219 confirmed coronavirus cases contracted aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.