Dustin Poirier appears to confirm his blockbuster trilogy fight with Conor McGregor will take place on July 10 … just hours after UFC supremo Dana White revealed plans for the summer showdown in Las Vegas
- Dustin Poirier prepares for a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor later this year
- The UFC rivals are 1-1 after the ‘Diamond’ beat the Irishman in January
- Poirier appeared to confirm that the third game will take place on July 10
- UFC President Dana White revealed this weekend that it will be in Las Vegas
Dustin Poirier appears to have indicated that his trilogy fight with Conor McGregor will take place on July 10 of this year.
The pair fought in a UFC 257 rematch in January this year, with the American taking a surprise win over McGregor to get revenge for the Irishman’s UFC 178 victory in September 2014.
January’s fight marked McGregor’s return to the octagon after retiring last June and blamed the period of inactivity for the defeat, but immediately called for a trilogy fight and both competitors’ camps have since been negotiating. .
Dustin Poirier (left) seemed to confirm that his trilogy fight with Conor McGregor (right) will take place on July 10
Poirier took to social media on Sunday evening to seemingly confirm the news of the fight date
And Poirier took to Twitter on Sunday night to seemingly notify fans that the third game is taking place on July 10 later this year.
Over the weekend, UFC President Dana White herself confirmed that the trilogy fight is slated for this summer in Las Vegas.
It has been reported that May was one possible time when the trilogy between McGregor and Poirier but reports from ESPN claimed that any chance that the fight took place that month was cut short after an agreement between the two sides lasted longer than expected.
Poirier (right) defeated McGregor earlier this year on Irishman’s return after UFC retirement
UFC announced plans to crown a new lightweight champion after Khabib Nurmagomedov confirmed his definitive retirement – and Michael Chandler will face Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.
And White has confirmed that Poirier was offered the opportunity, but instead turned it down because he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.
When asked if UFC 264 could possibly take place at the T-Mobile in Vegas, White said, “I hope that’s the plan.”
When pressed on McGregor vs Poirier III, possibly as the card’s headliner, White added, ‘I hope so. We all hope so. ‘
UFC President Dana White (above) also confirmed a summer date for the trilogy fight this week
White, who admitted earlier this month that McGregor is his favorite MMA star when “ the world goes nuts when he puts on a show, ” claimed the Irishman wasn’t entirely focused on ‘Diamond’ Poirier’s challenge when they met in January. .
The UFC supremo told BT Sport: ‘I don’t know if this is true. I mean, Conor McGregor is the only one who can answer this question.
“I think Conor overlooked Dustin, and (had a mindset) like, ‘let me get through this so I can work on other stuff.’