DR Congo election second riders court challenge to …

DR Congo election second riders court challenge to achieve results

Press Association

President of the presidential election in DR Congo Martin Fayulu asked the Constitutional Court to do a recount of the controversial elections in the country and declared: "You can not produce results behind closed doors."

Mr. Fayulu has signed a back room deal between the declared winner, opposition leader Felix Tshisekedi and President Joseph Kabila.

The coalition of Mr. Fayulu claims that he has won 61% of the votes according to the 40,000 election observers of the Catholic Church across the country.

According to the Democratic Republic of Congo, he received 34% and Mr Tshisekedi 38%.

But Mr. Fayulu risks more than just a refusal by the judge – chairman of the electoral commission Corneille Nangaa has said that there are only two options to accept the result or to annul the vote.

The latter would keep Mr. Kabila in power for a new election.

Mr. Fayulu said: "They call me the soldier of the people … and I will not disappoint the people."

The filing of the court contains evidence of witnesses at polling stations across the country, he said.

Accompanied by his wife and lawyers, Fayulu submits his petition to the Constitutional Court (Jerome Delay / AP)

Accompanied by his wife and lawyers, Fayulu submits his petition to the Constitutional Court (Jerome Delay / AP)

Accompanied by his wife and lawyers, Fayulu submits his petition to the Constitutional Court (Jerome Delay / AP)

Rifle-bearing members of the Republican Guard of Mr. Kabila deployed outside the house of Mr. Fayulu and the court earlier on Saturday.

It was an attempt to stop him from filing his claim, said Mr. Fayulu.

Earlier on Saturday, the committee announced that the ruling coalition of Kabila had won the absolute majority of national seats. The majority, who will elect the prime minister and form the next government, will reduce the chances of radical reforms under Mr Tshisekedi.

Congolese are now faced with the extraordinary situation of a presidential election that has reportedly been in favor of the opposition. "This is more than an election party, it's a tragedy," the LUCHA activist group tweeted, remarkably also a majority of the ruling party in provincial elections.

This could be Congo's first peaceful, democratic transfer of power since Belgium's independence in 1960, but observers have warned that a court challenge could lead to violence.

Police officers keep members of the media out of the constitution in Kinshasa (Jerome Delay / AP)

Police officers keep members of the media out of the constitution in Kinshasa (Jerome Delay / AP)

Police officers keep members of the media out of the constitution in Kinshasa (Jerome Delay / AP)

The December 30 elections came after more than two turbulent years of delays, as many Congolese were worried that Kabila, who had been in power since his father in 2001, was looking for a way to stay in office to protect his vast possessions.

"Even if the presidency of Tshisekedi survives these legal challenges, he will be irreparably damaged and dependent on Kabila, whose patronage network controls the most levers of power in the country, including the security forces," said Professor Pierre Engelbert of the Africa Center. of the Atlantic Council,.

Statements about the election by the international community, including African regional blocs, have not congratulated Mr Tshisekedi, some are looking forward to definitive detailed results and many are pushing for violence.

The 80 million inhabitants of Congo have been largely peaceful since the vote, although the UN peace mission reported at least a dozen deaths in protests in the province of Kwilu. The authorities also took note of demonstrations in the cities of Kisangani and Mbandaka.

The internet service has been cut off throughout the country since the election day.

Sorry, we currently do not accept comments on this article.

.