The blogging days of former President Donald Trump are officially over. On Wednesday, CNBC reported that Trump’s blog was shut down less than a month after its launch.
The blog, “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump,” was launched on May 4 as a replacement messaging platform for the former president after he was banned from Facebook and Twitter earlier this year. But as of Wednesday, the blog had been completely removed from Trump’s website. Jason Miller, Trump’s senior aide, confirmed to CNBC Wednesday that the site “will not return”. The old blog posts are now archived as press releases in a separate section of the site.
Trump was banned from Facebook and Twitter in January after a deadly right-wing riot broke out in the US Capitol when lawmakers were due to vote to certify Joe Biden as president. Shortly after the ban, Trump announced that he would be launching his own competing social media platform.
When the blog launched last month, Miller tweeted that the “website is a great resource for finding Trump’s latest statements” but that it was not his long-promised “social media platform”.
“We’ll get information about this in the near future,” Miller said.
On Wednesday, Trump’s office had no new details regarding the platform. Last month, The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has entered into talks with platforms such as CloutHub and FreeSpace to become his new favorite messaging platform. The log said Trump isn’t looking for shares in the new company, but what a licensing fee could be if he decides to join.
Much of Trump’s success can be attributed to his social media following. But his blog struggled to find the audience that his Twitter feed did. Last month, NBC News reported that the blog got a total of only 212,000 engagements, a much lower engagement rate than the former president’s tweets.