Donald Trump Says Financing for WHO Will Stay Suspended, But Confirms He Is Considering Cutting US Contribution From $ 400 Million To Just $ 40 Million To Meet China’s
- President Trump confirmed on Saturday that the US is considering ‘numerous concepts’
- He said US funding to the WHO remains frozen and no final decision has been made
- Leaked draft letter suggested Trump wanted to cut US aid to $ 40 million
- The United States previously sent $ 400 million a year, while China sends 10 percent of that
- Trump cut funding last month pending an investigation into the WHO’s pandemic response
Donald Trump has confirmed that he is considering restoring funding to the World Health Organization, but wants to cut the US contribution to just $ 40 million.
The president tweeted on Saturday morning that no final decision has been made and that U.S. funding for the global health service remains frozen.
Trump had responded to a tweet from Fox News anchor Lou Dobbs about a leaked White House letter alleging that the president was preparing to resume partial funding after stopping all aid last month.
Lou, this is just one of many concepts under consideration that we would pay 10% of what we paid for years, equivalent to much lower payments in China. Have not made a final decision. All funds are frozen. Thanks!’ Trump said.
President Donald Trump confirmed on Saturday that he is considering reducing the US contribution to the World Health Organization to just $ 40 million
Trump suspended US aid to WHO on April 14, accused China of promoting “disinformation” about the coronavirus outbreak, and said his government would launch a review of the organization.
WHO officials denied the claims, and China has insisted that it be transparent and open.
The president continued the criticism and said at a town hall last week, “The World Health Organization has been a disaster – everything they said was wrong and they are China-focused.”
On Friday, Fox News presenter Tucker Carlson presented that the White House was about to resume funding at the same level as China.
Earlier, the US sent the WHO about $ 400 million a year, ten times as much as China contributes.
WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus can be seen above. Questions remain about the relationship between China and the WHO
‘Despite [its] shortcomings, I believe the WHO still has tremendous potential and I want the WHO to live up to this potential, especially now during this global crisis, ‘the draft letter reads, apparently in Trump’s voice.
“That is why I have decided that the United States will continue to cooperate and cooperate with the World Health Organization,” it adds. “China owes a huge debt to the whole world and it can start by paying a fair share to the WHO.”
“If China increases its funding to WHO,” the letter adds, “we will consider matching these increases.”
It comes as questions linger about the relationship between China and the WHO.
Earlier this week, it was reported that the CIA believes that China has bullied the WHO to postpone the declaration of a global health emergency in January, even as Beijing hoarded medical equipment.
A CIA report says China threatened to stop cooperating with the WHO’s coronavirus investigation if the organization declared the outbreak a global health necessity, Newsweek said.
The alleged delay came at a crucial time in January, when the virus went unnoticed around the world and China had medical supplies and protective equipment in stock in the United States and elsewhere.
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (left) and Chinese leader Xi Jinping shake hands in Beijing on January 28, 2020
It is the second Western intelligence report to indicate that China has strongly armed the WHO to downplay the risks of the epidemic, after a German intelligence document by Der Spiegel suggested that Chinese leader Xi Jinping personally pressured WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus put.
In a statement to DailyMail.com, WHO denied that it had admitted to external flexion in the early stages of the pandemic.
“According to the WHO Constitution, each Member State must” respect the exclusively international nature of the Director General and staff and not attempt to influence them, “the statement said.
“We know that every country understands that this obligation is critical to the impartiality and neutrality of WHO in its global health work.”