Dog rushed to vets after eating 12 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs

0

Bruce the labradoodle is rushed for emergency treatment after mocking 12 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs as vets warn owners not to poison their pets with chocolate this Easter

  • Labradoodle recoiled 12 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs and bars of dark chocolate
  • Bruce managed to sneak into the pantry of his Hampshire family’s home at night
  • Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs

A labradoodle named Bruce had to be rushed for emergency treatment after he ate 12 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs – as vets warn owners not to poison their pets with chocolate during Easter.

The hungry dog ​​also managed to devour several bars of dark chocolate, but experts say the party could have cost him his life.

Owner Alison Rothery, of Fordingbridge, Hampshire, said, “We had the Easter chocolate high in the pantry, way back and basically on a shelf above it, where we thought it was impossible for it to reach.

But I came down and found Bruce’s bed full of creme egg wrappers and chocolate bar wrappers. We must have left the door ajar and he had clearly sniffed his way in, got up and helped himself.

Bruce the labradoodle managed to sneak into his Hampshire family's pantry and devour their stash of Easter chocolate.  His owner rushed him to the vet

Bruce the labradoodle managed to sneak into his Hampshire family’s pantry and devour their stash of Easter chocolate. His owner rushed him to the vet

He didn’t actually seem out of his kind, just a little overly excited, probably because of all the sugar. But when I realized how much chocolate he had eaten, I knew I needed help.

The cream eggs were clearly a concern, but I was more concerned about the dark chocolate because I knew that could be worse.

“And while this was the first, I wasn’t sure if he’d just eaten them or if he’d had them earlier in the evening and had them in his system for hours.”

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs. The amount depends on the type, with dark chocolate being the most poisonous.

It primarily affects the intestines, heart, central nervous system and kidneys and common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures.

Bruce left a trail of evidence from his midnight feast of 12 Cadbury's Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate - but vets warn the hungry dog ​​could have been killed after gobbling it so many times

Bruce has left a trail of evidence from his midnight feast of 12 Cadbury's Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate - but vets warn hungry dog ​​could have been killed after gobbling so much

Bruce has left a trail of evidence from his midnight feast of 12 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate – but vets warn hungry dog ​​could have been killed after gobbling so much

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs.  Fortunately, Bruce has fully recovered and is back home

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs.  Fortunately, Bruce has fully recovered and is back home

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is toxic to dogs. Fortunately, Bruce has fully recovered and is back home

Mrs. Rothery took Bruce to the Vets Now clinic in Salisbury, where he received emergency treatment.

Senior veterinarian surgeon Dave Hollinshead said, “While cream eggs are not particularly high in theobromine, dark chocolate is and it was clear that Bruce had ingested a toxic amount.

After discussing the situation with his owners, our team in Salisbury gave Bruce an injection and he brought a lot of chocolate and quite a few wrappers.

Fortunately, after further checks, we were able to leave him at home with a recipe for activated charcoal that helps absorb any toxins in the system.

After breaking into the family's pantry, Bruce's owner says they are 'not taking any chances' and have decided to keep their wealth of Easter chocolate safe in the fridge.

After breaking into the family's pantry, Bruce's owner says they are 'not taking any chances' and have decided to keep their wealth of Easter chocolate safe in the fridge.

After breaking into the family’s pantry, Bruce’s owner says they are ‘not taking any chances’ and have decided to keep their wealth of Easter chocolate safe in the fridge.

Easter eggs are clearly a big favorite at this time of year. But while they are a fun treat for adults and children, they pose a real danger to pets, so be careful. ‘

Mrs. Rothery commended the vets for their ‘brilliant job’ and called on other owners to take precautions.

She said, “We are not taking any chances now. Since it happened, we’ve put chocolate in the fridge and that’s where the Easter eggs go from now on. ‘

Advertisement