Dog killed with bolt gun ‘by mistake’ in horror confusion by NZ council – as family left ‘heartbroken and shocked’
A couple were left heartbroken and in shock after their beloved dog Sarge was taken in and accidentally killed in a mistake by the local council.
Worse still for ‘devastated’ owners Logan and Piri, Gisborne District Council in New Zealand’s North Island used a bolt gun to euthanize him, rather than an intravenous injection by a veterinarian .
The council confirmed in a statement that Sarge, who was microchipped, “was put down by mistake” last Friday after being mixed up with another dog intended to be killed that day.
Family friend Kara Hull said the way the council handled the situation was cruel.
“Imagine accidentally killing a human and then releasing a statement to the media,” she said. stuff.co.nz.
“Sarge was part of the family. Logan and Piri have no children and Sarge was their baby. It’s devastating,”
A couple were left heartbroken and in shock after their beloved dog Sarge (pictured) was mistakenly killed by a local council, despite being microchipped.
While the couple were at work on Friday, Sarge was picked up and brought to the pound by a council animal officer, despite neighbors trying to stop the animal from being taken away.
Logan and Piri were called to come get him, but Sarge was shot before they could arrive.
“They killed him,” Ms. Hull said. “A person from the municipality knocked on Piri’s door and told him that their dog had been shot by mistake.
“Logan and Piri are just beside themselves with grief.”
In a Facebook post, she wrote that Sarge was “the goodest boy that ever lived,” that he “would never hurt a fly” and that he was “never just a dog to us , you were and will forever be our family.” ‘.
She said the dog was then delivered to its owners in “a garbage bag”.
It was only when the couple opened the bag to bury the dog under his favorite plum tree that they discovered he had been killed by a bolter.
“He had basically suffered a gunshot wound to the head. Not only what happened, but seeing him like that was so painful – to think he died like that is beyond horrible,” Ms Hull said.
Council chief executive Nedine Thatcher Swann confirmed Sarge was euthanized with a “captive bolt gun”.
She knew this method was not approved by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), but said the council had been using this method for years.
SPCA policy states that “In most situations, the best method of euthanasia for dogs is by a veterinarian using lethal injection, if possible (and sedation if necessary to reduce the stress of handling before euthanasia). »
The council confirmed in a statement that Sarge (pictured) “was shot by mistake” last Friday after being mixed up with another dog intended to be killed that day.
The council said it was “a very unfortunate incident” and “human error” that Sarge “was mistakenly identified with another dog which was due to be put down on the same day”.
The animal manager who made the ‘terrible mistake’ of killing the wrong dog has been placed on leave while the matter is investigated by the council, which is take legal advice.
The board said it “unreservedly apologizes” for “this serious error” and that the officer involved is “deeply remorseful and shaken.”
“We understand that nothing can replace the deep bond and memories shared between a family and their pet, and we are deeply saddened by this unfortunate event…
“We will take appropriate action to learn from this situation and ensure it does not happen again.”
The board (statement pictured) said it “unreservedly apologizes” for “this serious error” and that the officer involved is “deeply remorseful and shaken.”