Do you feel sick after your vacation to Bali? Go to the doctor NOW: why GPs are instructed to test THOUSANDS of Australians for corona virus
- Doctors are advised to test Australians returning from Bali for COVID-19
- Indonesia currently has no reported cases of the new corona virus
- Experts say the size of the country and data indicate that there are likely to be undetected cases
GPs are ordered to test Australians who have traveled to Bali for the corona virus in the last two weeks if they have flu symptoms.
This week, NSW and Victorian health authorities updated their advice to test for the virus if patients had been to Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore or Indonesia and showed signs of “a clinically compatible disease.”
“This recommendation is based on the amount of travel between these countries, Australia and China, and the current epidemiology of COVID-19,” the updated advice, as seen by the Sydney Morning Herald and The age said.
General practitioners are ordered to test Australians who have traveled to Bali in the last two weeks for coronavirus if they have any signs of flu symptoms
Although the Indonesian authorities have tested some people for COVID-19, they have not reported confirmed cases to the World Health Organization
The aforementioned countries have registered several cases of coronavirus, with the exception of Indonesia, which has not reported any cases to the World Health Organization.
However, experts have said that the country, which includes the popular tourist island of Bali, is likely to have undetected cases.
Ian Mackay, professor of virology at the University of Queensland, said he was skeptical, but Indonesia did not have a single case of COVID-19 and added that “it is a large country” and is likely to have undetected infections.
Harry Nespolon, president of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, agreed that anyone who returns from Bali and experiences flu-like symptoms should be tested for the virus.
“Indonesia has a population of 267 million people, it has almost no effective screening – they say yes, but probably not. If you look at the statistics, there should be some cases in Indonesia, “he said.
Figures show that in 2019 around 25,000 people flew between Australia and Bali every week
The updated testing guidelines stem from Australia’s communicable disease network, chaired by Brendan Murphy, Chief Medical Officer.
The advice contradicts the guidelines of the federal health department that only people who have been to China should be tested.
Figures show that around 25,000 people flew between Australia and Bali every week during 2019 – meaning that more than 100,000 people have probably made the journey since the outbreak began in late December.
Bali is also a top tourist location for China with around 1.2 million Chinese tourists traveling to the island in 2019.
It is understood that Indonesia only tested 112 people for COVID-19, of which 108 were negative and four were processed.
The current SmartTraveller recommendation for Indonesia contains no warning about coronavirus, but some other Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand have the warning that tourists should take precautions.
Bali airport (photo) is a hub for tourists from Australia and many countries in Southeast Asia
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their 60s who arrived in Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives have been confirmed to have a corona virus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- From 15 February, 47 Australians are among 219 confirmed coronavirus cases contracted aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.