Disgraced Matt Araiza speaks out on ‘very dark eight months’ after it emerges he was NOT present at alleged gang rape that led to him being cut by Buffalo Bills: ‘I can only hope people will judge me on facts’
Matt Araiza, the former Buffalo Bills gambler who was suspended from the NFL team when he was linked to an alleged gang rape of a minor, has spoken out after it was revealed he was not present when the incident allegedly took place .
Yahoo Sports reported Monday on a 200-page unsealed document, including a transcript of a conversation in which a deputy prosecutor told the girl, who was 17 at the time of the alleged incident, why charges against Araiza were not being prosecuted.
The district attorney’s office had apparently concluded that Araiza left the party in San Diego at 12:30 a.m. on the night of October 15, 2021 — about an hour before the alleged gang rape that Araiza was accused of participating in. had a witness who helped prosecutors conclude that he left about an hour earlier.
Now, a statement reported by Araiza’s Pro Football Talk said, “I am deeply grateful for the thorough work of the San Diego District Attorney’s office and for all the witnesses who were willing to come forward and tell the truth.
“I am grateful that the facts of this case, as provided by the witnesses, will prove that what I have said from the outset is, in fact, the truth.
Matt Araiza has spoken out after new details emerged about his links to an alleged gang rape
It was concluded that Araiza had left the party an hour before the alleged gang rape took place
“I can only hope that people will now judge me on the facts and not on what has been falsely alleged both in the civil suit and in the press.
“I am beyond grateful for the unwavering support of both my family and friends. They have been a rock in what has been a very dark eight months for me. But now that the truth is out, I am amazed at the thousands of emails and tweets supporting me.
“It’s been a real blessing to know that so many people have now judged me on the facts.”
Last December, it emerged that Araiza would not face criminal charges by San Diego prosecutors.
Prosecutors determined that it is clear that the evidence does not support the filing of criminal charges. There is no road to a possible criminal conviction,” the San Diego County District Attorney said at the time.
However, there is an ongoing civil lawsuit that remains active.
In February this year, Araiza’s agent denied signing with a Mexican team in a bid to revive his career, saying the 22-year-old is hoping for another chance in the NFL.
He was released by the Bills in late August, amid the allegations and mounting public pressure, despite winning the starting job in training camp.
Araiza was released by the Bills last year after his ties to the incident sparked outrage
The Ray Guy Award winner — given to the top punter in college football — was a sixth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, beating veteran Matt Haack as the Bills punter.
When the lawsuit went public on Aug. 26, Buffalo initially defended Araiza, before finally cutting the 22-year-old two days later.
General manager Brandon Beane said the organization was aware of Araiza’s version of events before they brought him to Orchard Park.
But when they released him, Beane said, “Right now, we think the best move for everyone is to get away from Matt and let him handle this situation and focus on that.”