Dillian Whyte reveals he wants Anthony Joshua next instead of waiting for Tyson Fury to be obligated
Dillian Whyte insists he wants to fight Anthony Joshua next time instead of waiting for the winner of Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder, despite the WBO ordering AJ to take on mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk.
- Dillian Whyte has revealed he wants his next fight to be against Anthony Joshua
- Joshua is looking for his next opponent after his showdown with Tyson Fury flops
- The WBO has ordered Joshua to go on to fight mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk
- But AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said he would find the best deal for his client
Dillian Whyte has seemingly called out Anthony Joshua and insisted that he now wants to take on the heavyweight champion instead of waiting for Tyson Fury’s winner against Deontay Wilder.
After months of lengthy negotiations, Joshua and Fury seemed to be fighting a blockbuster British unification battle in Saudi Arabia this summer.
However, earlier this month, an arbitration hearing ruled that Wilder was entitled to a third fight with Fury after losing their second game in February 2020.
Dillian Whyte wants to fight Anthony Joshua next time, not Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder winner
In an Instagram post, Whyte said he wanted to fight Joshua next time
They will now play in Las Vegas on July 24, with Joshua appearing ready to fight Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk instead.
Whyte’s win over Alexander Povetkin in March earned him the WBC interim world title, but a chance of challenging current WBC champion Fury this calendar year is unlikely.
Instead, Whyte has now thrown his name onto Joshua’s list of possible opponents.
Body Snatcher’s trainer, Xavier Miller, posted on Instagram on Monday, “ We want Wilder v Fury 3 winner. ”
But Whyte was quick to respond to the post, saying he didn’t mean to, writing, “I want AJ next now.”
It seems likely that Joshua will fight Usyk next time after being ordered to do so by the WBO. They have until May 31 to close a deal or their offer will be canceled.
Whyte isn’t the only fighter wanting a slice of Joshua, though, with his longtime nemesis Andy Ruiz Jnr telling promoter Eddie Hearn he’s looking for a third showdown.
Joshua reclaimed his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO ties by beating Ruiz in December 2019 after being shocked by the Mexican six months earlier.
Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder will compete for a third time in Las Vegas later this summer
Andy Ruiz Jnr has told Eddie Hearn that he wants to play with Joshua again soon
Despite being ordered to fight Usyk, Hearn insisted on finding the best deal for Joshua, be it a clash with the Ukrainian or another opponent, citing Ruiz and Whyte as possible options.
He told iFL TV: ‘In an ideal world, if there is good business to be done with Oleksandr Usyk, then it must be good business for him too, that is the next battle.
‘I’m not ruling out a screenplay for Anthony Joshua at this point.
“We probably have 10 days to decide what to do.
‘There are quite a few (options). If you go to America he already messaged me, it’s like deja vu, Andy Ruiz.
He messaged me on Instagram saying, “I’m ready, let’s do this, AJ to Ruiz three”.
‘That’s a fight I think we would be interested in, if you go to America Luis Ortiz is another man you could fight with.
“If you’re going to the UK, I don’t know … Dillian Whyte, that’s a fight to make.”