Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin have an intense look ahead of a massive Gibraltar rematch as Brit claims his rival is hiding his true emotions because he knows ‘I’ll get much better’ after last year’s brutal KO.
- Dillian Whyte will take on Alexander Povetkin in a second chance next Saturday
- The Brit has insisted that Povetkin look like a man who knows he should be against it
- Whyte is seeking revenge after they were knocked out during their first fight in August
- He said he is looking forward to performing in front of an audience
Dillian Whyte has insisted that Alexander Povetkin try to mask his true emotions, knowing he is up against a more formidable opponent than in their first fight.
The Brixton heavyweight dominated their first meeting last August, beating Povetkin twice before the Russian delivered a stunning uppercut to knock him out.
Whyte, who has relinquished his position as the No. 1 ranked fighter at the WBC due to just the second defeat in his professional career, has vowed to bounce back and get revenge when Saturday’s ‘rumble on the rock’ lands in Gibraltar .
Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin went head-to-head at Thursday’s final press conference
‘He’s fairly relaxed and doesn’t try to show a lot of emotions, but I can see. We are fighters, we know. We’ve shared the ring before, ‘Whyte said after their intense look on Thursday.
‘He knows. He says he knows it will get much better this time. We will see.
‘I’ve been fighting top people for six years. It’s like a game of dice. You roll the dice, you don’t know which number it will land on.
Whyte said Povetkin knows he will be more formidable this time after losing the first fight
‘If you fight the good guys one after the other, you get knocked down, you lose. It is just what it is.
Most importantly, I bounce back. I don’t let these things bother me too much. I’ve always been a warrior. ‘
Victory for Whyte would see him face off for a world title again later this year, but a second defeat to the 41-year-old veteran could be disastrous.
The British challenger acknowledges that this is ‘the biggest fight of his career’ and admits that he looks forward to performing in front of the 500 in attendance in his first public fight since the pandemic hit.
Whyte was brutally eliminated by Povetkin in the fifth round of their fight in August
He added: ‘It has been difficult for everyone last year. I’m just doing my part to bring our beloved sport back to normal. This fight is a big fight, it is just as big as any other world title fight.
‘I’m just glad the people of Gibraltar made this possible and it will rock and jump Saturday night, it will be like York Hall.
‘This is the most important fight of my career, I am used to jumping back and proving people wrong. Everyone keeps going on about the defeat, but it’s nothing. I am improving, I am getting better every day and on Saturday I will come back to leave it all on the line.
‘The most important thing is to win, I hate to lose, I want to make it 1-1. I’ll do what I have to do. ‘
Whyte said he is looking forward to performing in front of a live audience Saturday night