World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev of Monte Carlo Masters after testing positive for Covid-19 … just days after ATP’s controversial decision to relax restrictions and allow players to stay at home instead of in a strict hotel bubble
- The Russian Daniil Medvedev has withdrawn from the Monte Carlo Masters
- His positive Covid test comes after the relaxation of strict bubble rules
- Medvedev, Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev all live in the principality
- The ATP has allowed players to stay in private residences for this week’s event
World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev has withdrawn from the Rolex Monte Carlo Masters after testing positive for the coronavirus today.
The announcement came before matchday 3 at one of the ATP Masters 1000 events, with Medvedev being replaced in the draw by Argentinian lucky guy Juan Ignacio Londero.
However, the positive test comes after the ATP’s decision to allow players to stay at home rather than in a strict bubble, with Medvedev living in the principality.
Daniil Medvedev has withdrawn from the Monte Carlo Masters after the positive Covid-19 test
The news comes after the relaxation of strict bubble protocols for the event this week
Inevitably, one of the world’s best players to catch the virus with the relaxation of the bubble rules will question this decision.
“It’s a big disappointment not to play in Monte Carlo,” Medvedev said in a statement. ‘My focus is now on recovery and I look forward to getting back on the Tour as quickly and safely as possible.’
The ATP said the 25-year-old had been put in isolation and under the supervision of the tournament doctor and the tour’s medical team.
The Russian practiced on Monday with eleven-time Monte Carlo winner and world champion No. 3 Rafael Nadal.
Medvedev trained on Sunday afternoon with eleven-time Monte Carlo winner Rafael Nadal
During the coronavirus pandemic, players had to stay in designated hotels at each event as part of the “ tournament bubble. ”
But in Monte Carlo, they have been granted permission to use private homes as long as they agree not to go anywhere other than the tournament grounds, reports said.
Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev are other players who have residences in the principality.