‘Come on guys, this is gonna be stupid’: Dana White insists he has NO interest in pitting a UFC fighter against Oscar De La Hoya, 48, for his July comeback match after organizers targeted on ‘a big name’ of the sport
- Oscar De La Hoya finally announced his comeback to boxing last week, at the age of 48
- The Golden Boy will return to the ring on July 3, with his opponent still unknown
- Ryan Kavanaugh, who is organizing the fight, wants a ‘big name’ from UFC
- But UFC chief Dana White threw contempt at the suggestion, calling it ‘stupid’
UFC chief Dana White has responded to suggestions that one of his fighters could face Oscar De La Hoya in his comeback fight this summer – calling the idea “ silly. ”
The Golden Boy has finally announced that he will return to the ring on July 3 at the press conference for Jake Paul’s fight against Ben Askren, after teasing fans that he might step back into the sport.
The 48-year-old’s fight is aired on the social media platform Triller – which successfully saw Mike Tyson’s comeback against Roy Jones Jr. – with CEO Ryan Kavanaugh admitting organizers would like him to take over a ‘big name’ from UFC.
Oscar De La Hoya won’t be up against a UFC fighter for his comeback fight, says Dana White (R)
But White was barely willing to comment when the idea was presented to him at UFC 260, hitting journalists for their ‘crazy question’ and making it clear that he wasn’t on board with the veteran making a comeback.
‘To box De La Hoya? Come on guys, this s *** is going crazy. You just want to ask me stupid questions.
‘You have a 50-year-old man who is boxing, and you guys are really talking about it and about press conferences?
“Come on, come on guys.”
De La Hoya’s last fight was a brutal defeat to Manny Pacquio in 2008
It wouldn’t be the first time a boxer has come out of retirement to take on a UFC fighter in a crossover fight. In 2017, Floyd Mayweather returned to the ring for the first time in two years against Conor McGregor in a money-spinning match in Las Vegas – which the veteran boxer won by KO in the 10th round.
De La Hoya – who has become a promoter since retiring under his Golden Boy Promotions banner – previously labeled Mayweather as a possible opponent who lost to Money in 2007 by split decision.
“I’ve always been proud of fighting the best, and why should I go after the second best?” De La Hoya went on to say Fight Hub TV
His big comeback reveal on Friday was certainly memorable, but perhaps not for the right reasons, as fans could barely hear him because his microphone was broken.
It wouldn’t be the first time a boxer has come out of retirement to run into a UFC figure – Floyd Mayweather (L) took on Conor McGregor (R) in a cash-spinning crossover match in 2017
The Golden Boy announced his comeback to boxing on Friday night, along with rapper Snoop Dog
He quietly told fans he would be back on July 3 before dropping his mic and walking away – but he got a red face after discovering that fans couldn’t hear him.
Rapper Snoop Dog, a presenter at the event, asked De La Hoya ‘what are you in town for?’ before telling him, ‘I feel like something is missing. I keep seeing you in the ring, but I don’t see you in the ring. Talk to me.’
His response was muffled and almost inaudible, before he could be heard faintly saying, “July 3, I’m making my comeback,” before dropping his microphone and walking away.
Snoop Dog later repeats to fans in the audience what De la Hoya had just announced – with the former boxer seemingly unaware of the technical issue.
De La Hoya has not boxed for 13 years and was brutally interrupted against Manny Pacquiao during his last fight in 2008. A world champion in six different weight divisions, he finished his career with a record of 39 wins – 30 to come. from knockout – and six losses.