Dad-of-two loses a leg after contracting a deadly infection of an INGROWN HAIR

Mark Nagel showing his fake leg several months after the surgery that saved lives after his illness

A two-year-old father lost his leg and was left fighting for his life after contracting a deadly infection of an ingrown hair.

Mark Nagel, 53, gained 45 pounds in one leg and was temporarily blind two weeks after contracting fatal necrotizing fasciitis in his left thigh.

It is believed that the bacteria entered his system through an ingrown hair and multiplied in an "empty space" created when he slipped and pulled on a muscle.

He left Mark, from Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA. UU., Suffering a dull and painful pain that intensified as the virus ate through its flesh.

Mark Nagel showing his fake leg several months after the surgery that saved lives after his illness

Mark Nagel showing his fake leg several months after the surgery that saved lives after his illness

Mark Nagel imagined relaxing on the deck of a boat near his home in Minnesota before losing his leg

Mark Nagel imagined relaxing on the deck of a boat near his home in Minnesota before losing his leg

Mark Nagel imagined relaxing on the deck of a boat near his home in Minnesota before losing his leg

Two weeks after the fall, Mark's vision was gone and he was in agony.

His terrified wife, Tammy Nagel, 52, dialed 911 and was rushed to the hospital, where doctors warned that his life was at stake.

Mark then underwent six surgeries to remove the diseased flesh, while his family and friends (up to 35 people at a time) camped beside his bed to show their support.

Fortunately, he outperformed the rare disease, which has a survival rate of 27 percent, but doctors were forced to amputate his left leg from the pelvic bone down to stop the spread.

Mark spent the year after contracting the disease in January 2017, relearning how to walk with a prosthetic limb and undergo reconstruction work.

The developer of the project, Mark, described the test as "scary", but said he is grateful to be alive.

He said: I've never heard of the virus before.

"When I searched online, I remember thinking that the death rate of those who suffer from it, and the fact that it is called meat-eating disease, was terrifying.

"There was a reddish hairs on my thigh and it was speculated that something had come through that: a streptococcal infection infiltrated through that incarnate hair.

Mark Nagel with his children while in hospital with necrotizing fasciitis, a life-threatening infection

Mark Nagel with his children while in hospital with necrotizing fasciitis, a life-threatening infection

Mark Nagel with his children while in hospital with necrotizing fasciitis, a life-threatening infection

Mark Nagel with his wife Tammy while undergoing six surgeries to save lives in his torrid battle against the disease

Mark Nagel with his wife Tammy while undergoing six surgeries to save lives in his torrid battle against the disease

Mark Nagel with his wife Tammy while undergoing six surgeries to save lives in his torrid battle against the disease

"Normally that would not be a big problem because your immune system fights but found an opening in that space where there was a muscle pull and gave it room to grow."

Mark began to feel pain at the beginning of last year after sliding on the ice while walking with his Golden Retriever, Dakota, and pulling his muscles.

He said: My leg started to swell, and it was hard to walk on it because it started to stiffen.

"Over a period of two weeks, I had gained 45 pounds on my leg.

"The infection had basically consumed all the hydration in my body." I became so dehydrated that I went blind and almost fainted.

Doctors from Regions Hospital, Minnesota, USA They performed a CT scan that showed that Mark suffered from necrotizing fasciitis.

Mark said: "The surgeon said that I would open my leg and that I would see the virus grow while I was working on it."

"They realized that it was moving so fast that there was no way to save the leg.

"After six surgeries, they got rid of the infection and removed everything until the bone of the pelvis."

The father of two spent another month in the hospital, before returning home in March.

Mark Nagel learned to walk with his fake leg after he was given the prosthesis after a successful surgery to save his life

Mark Nagel learned to walk with his fake leg after he was given the prosthesis after a successful surgery to save his life

Mark Nagel learned to walk with his fake leg after he was given the prosthesis after a successful surgery to save his life

Mark said he and his family have moved to a one-story house and have even managed to get back to work. Represented here on his first day of return

Mark said he and his family have moved to a one-story house and have even managed to get back to work. Represented here on his first day of return

Mark said he and his family have moved to a one-story house and have even managed to get back to work. Represented here on his first day of return

He said: "As soon as the hospital stuff was finished, we began to discover what it meant for our lives.

"Our house had five levels of stairs, so we put it up for sale and bought another house on one level.

"We sold our RV because it was not conducive to moving with crutches.

"We had to make a lot of changes, but everything went well."

Brave Mark, who is the father of Rachel, 21, and Mitch, 23, has remained positive despite the emotional trauma.

You only have to overcome this. You can not let it depress you, "he added.

"I can only deal with only one leg because it's much better than the alternative: I'm alive."

.