Cristiano Ronaldo, Kevin de Bruyne and David de Gea among the 10 highest paid footballers in the world
Cristiano Ronaldo, Kevin de Bruyne and David de Gea rake in with Lionel Messi in the top 10 highest paid footballers in the world… and Real Madrid pair Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard follow ex-Chelsea star Oscar
- A new football-rich list has some surprising names alongside Cristiano Ronaldo
- Ex-Chelsea midfielder Oscar is a more unexpected name in the top ten earners
- Lionel Messi and Neymar of PSG, as well as Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard
- Premier League regulars, including Kevin de Bruyne and David de Gea, join the list
Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Neymar are among the highest earners on a new rich list of the top ten highest paid footballers in the world – although there are a few names who have barely made it to the top leagues this season.
Seven-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi earns a whopping £960,000 salary, and a former Chelsea regular who hasn’t seen outside of China since 2017 is closer to that huge pay package than Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Kylian Mbappe.
Former Brazilian playmaker Oscar played more than 200 appearances for the Blues before joining Chinese Super League team Shanghai SIPG – now known as Shanghai Port – in the January 2017 transfer window.
Cristiano Ronaldo (left) and David de Gea have both made the cut on a new list of big earners
Paris Saint-Germain have an unenviably high wage bill with Neymar (left) and Leo Messi
The £67m deal broke the Asian transfer window and made the two-time Premier League winner one of the highest paid players in the world.
ON THE MONEY: THE LIST’S TOP 10 PLAYERS
10. David de Gea (Manchester United): £375,000 a week
9. Philippe CoutinhaO (Barcelona/Aston Villa): £380,000
8. Eden Hazard (Real Madrid): £381,000
7. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City): £385,000
6. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United): £385,000
5. Kylian Mbappe (PSG): £410,000
4. Gareth Bale (Madrid): £528,000
3. Oscar (Port of Shanghai): £540,000
2. Neymar (PSG): £606,000
1. Lionel Messi (PSG): £960,000
Oscar’s huge merits are exposed by his position behind only Messi and PSG team-mate Neymar on the list, according to figures compiled by the Daily star from Marca and Salary Sport.
While fellow countryman Neymar is reportedly claiming £606,000 a week, Oscar’s contract would earn the 30-year-old £540,000 in his weekly pay package.
The outlet estimates he will have amassed nearly £211 million by the time his current deal with Shanghai expires in 2024.
Ronaldo’s reported weekly income of £385,000 places him just sixth on the alleged list, behind Wales talisman Bale – who has barely played for Madrid this season due to injuries – and France and PSG prodigy Mbappe.
Belgium and Manchester City maestro De Bruyne is said to have the same pay as Ronaldo, with former Chelsea magician Eden Hazard not far behind.
Hazard has remained on the bench for Real Madrid’s two most recent matches, but has a reported fee of £381,000 a week to console himself with.
Two well-known Premier League faces who could meet at Villa Park on Saturday make up the list.
United goalkeeper David De Gea is reportedly behind Philippe Coutinho £5,000 a week, perhaps explaining why the Brazilian’s mother club, Barcelona, was keen to loan the midfielder to Aston Villa until the end of the 2021-season. 22.