REVEALED: Cristiano Ronaldo dodged questions about whether he would ever go to Manchester City six years ago by insisting he doesn’t play for money… as that reality is now getting closer amid reports that Juventus star is headed to a deal with United’s rivals
Cristiano Ronaldo refused to go to Manchester City six years ago.
The Juventus star has been strongly linked with a shocking move to the Premier League champions and reports in Portugal on Thursday claimed the five-time Ballon d’Or winner has agreed personal terms with City.
A 2015 interview has surfaced in which Ronaldo dodged questions about whether he could ever play for Manchester United’s rivals as that reality appears to be getting closer.
Cristiano Ronaldo (L) declined to be drawn on whether he could move to Manchester City six years ago, amid reports the Juventus star is on track for a deal with Pep Guardiola’s (R) side
The 36-year-old insisted that football is not about financial gain when asked if he could be persuaded to make the move to the Etihad.
“Do you think the money is going to change my mind now?” he told the BBC.
‘I do not think so. I don’t think that’s going to be the problem because if you’re talking about the money, I’m going to Qatar.
‘[They] may have more money than Manchester City, but it’s not about the money. It’s about the passion.’
Ronaldo scored 118 goals and provided 69 assists in 292 appearances in a six-year period at United between 2003 and 2009.
Reports in Italy earlier this week said City had offered the former Manchester United star a two-year deal worth £230,000 a week after missing Tottenham striker Harry Kane.
Ronaldo scored 118 goals and provided 69 assists in 292 appearances in a six-year period at City’s rivals Man United between 2003 and 2009
Sports post also understands that the ex-Real Madrid forward was offered to side with Pep Guardiola in a £25m deal earlier this month.
Ronaldo signed for Juventus in a mega-money transfer from Real Madrid in 2018, but now has less than 12 months left on his contract with the Serie A giants.
Paris Saint-Germain have also reportedly been polled as an option for Ronaldo, but with Lionel Messi already in their ranks, that move has failed to gain any serious momentum.
Ronaldo made it clear to Juventus that he wanted to leave after asking for the bench for their clash with Udinese last weekend. Massimiliano Allegri denied this while Juve vice-chairman Pavel Nedved doubled down on Allegri’s optimistic remarks.
“We decided that together with Ronaldo. It’s normal. Ronaldo will remain 100%,” he said DAZN.